Salt vs Chlorine

Does a SWCG cost more to run than a regular pump?
The SWCG is not really part of the pump except in the world of smaller above ground pools. It is an add on device that is in the return pipe, so the chlorine is added as the water returns to the pool.

Additional cost?

Maybe a little electricity to run the SWCG and depending on the size of teh SWCG you may need to run the pool pump a little longer than you would to just keep the pool clear. The pump must be running and water must be flowing thru the SWCG, so anytime you are addign chlorine, the pump needs to be running.

I guess that's the long way of saying yes, there may be a little extra cost, but not much....

Jveselka,
Count me in as a fellow newbie who listened to the people on this forum and now have a Hayward T-Cell-15 SWCG included in my new pool construction. I look forward to the TFP method of maintaining my new pool.

Bob

Following this thread because I've been looking hard at the Pure Line Crystal Pure Salt system and you know that because I look at it, it magically shows up on my Facebook. Reading comments on there is a headache.

To the OP, what salt system do you have in mind?

Following this thread because I've been looking hard at the Pure Line Crystal Pure Salt system and you know that because I look at it, it magically shows up on my Facebook. Reading comments on there is a headache.

To the OP, what salt system do you have in mind?
Hard to find many reviews of the Pure Line SWCGs, but there have been several comments on here that owners have been happy with them thus far. I haven’t seen feedback from those who’ve owned them multiple years.

If you don’t have automation to integrate with, then the CircuPool brand SWCGs are well thought of on TFP, their customer service is top notch, and they have long warranties. They have various models to choose from - you can pick up the RJ-60 PLUS for just over $1k if you call them (best prices are over the phone). That should handle your large pool well.

I personally went with Pentair because it’s the only SWCG that will integrate with my automation system.

Hard to find many reviews of the Pure Line SWCGs, but there have been several comments on here that owners have been happy with them thus far. I haven’t seen feedback from those who’ve owned them multiple years.

If you don’t have automation to integrate with, then the CircuPool brand SWCGs are well thought of on TFP, their customer service is top notch, and they have long warranties. They have various models to choose from - you can pick up the RJ-60 PLUS for just over $1k if you call them (best prices are over the phone). That should handle your large pool well.

I personally went with Pentair because it’s the only SWCG that will integrate with my automation system.

Thanks. No integration here. Pump runs 24/7 for 6 months.

Ok, you guys are starting to making me feel all warm and fuzzy......so is it true about the cell having to be replaced every 3 years and can it be cleaned by me or would that have to be done by a pro?

Here's some more warm and fuzzy's for you that weren't already mentioned. I converted my pool to SWG in 2005 and I am on my second cell and I am not looking back! It's been great.

-I had heard about the quality of the water with a salt system being better and that is true. My daughter has very sensitive skin. She cannot swim in most public pools. The SWG helps breakdown the sanitation byproducts that are irritating to the skin as well. Its made a huge difference. All the kids in the neighborhood prefer swimming in our pool for that.

-Less time fussing with chemistry. Before the SWG I spent a lot of time tweaking the chem.. add Chlorine, that changes ph, etc. then gotta test and update the other parameters. (granted that was before I discovered TFP, but still) The SWG creates chlorine slowly and continuously. I found it created a more stable chemical environment that is easier to maintain.

-I have not had any issues with corrosion. on the deck, equipment, furniture, etc. Anything that has corroded is because it would not have withstood the chlorine and water anyway.

-The only added cost besides the additional electricity to run the cell is the salt. I add one or two bags of salt ($15 bux) to offset the dilution from the winter rains when I open at the beginning of the season.

-I have read the break even point of paying for a SWG and what you would have to pay in Cl costs is about 5 years. But that doesn't include the time I have saved fussing with pool chem. I think it paid for itself in the first year when I include that.

-downside: you can't run it year round. When the water temp drops in the winter the generators do not produce. I have to revert to good ole fashioned liquid Cl.. but no biggie there is not as much usage and algae anyway. I've discovered the hard way the conditions for algae growth happen before my pool is warm enough to use the SWG. So I have to remember to watch the pool chem in early April.

Enjoy!

Last edited:
Reactions: LgHorn
Yikes -- why? 1.5kw per hour ----

Honestly, I have no real reason. When I built it 2012 the company I purchased the kit from just said to run it 24/7. It wasn't until last year when I really started digging into TFP did I even consider that I was overdoing it. Almost 30K gallons with no main drains. I just never considered an alternative. But I'll gladly take suggestions. My pool's electricity doesn't increase my bill that much. I know it will wear out a pump quicker.

WOW, thanks to all for the great feedback, not sure what salt system we will go with yet. I need to talk to neighbor to see what he went with and get him to show me how it all works. What is the average cost we can expect on our Ebill during high season running pump? I know it may not be accurate but round about....100.00 bucks extra 200.00 a month? We are just putting in pool no hot tub so there will not be a heater. The pool i have now has a sand filter that I run 24.7 and we don't really see any difference. Runs about 2800 GPM.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
WOW, thanks to all for the great feedback, not sure what salt system we will go with yet. I need to talk to neighbor to see what he went with and get him to show me how it all works. What is the average cost we can expect on our Ebill during high season running pump? I know it may not be accurate but round about....100.00 bucks extra 200.00 a month? We are just putting in pool no hot tub so there will not be a heater. The pool i have now has a sand filter that I run 24.7 and we don't really see any difference. Runs about 2800 GPM.

If you're running your current pump 24/7 @ 2800 (RPM?) and you get a variable speed (VS) pump in your new build, then you can run it at a lower speed most of the time and potentially save some money. Because you're running 24/7 now, I wouldn't expect to see an increase in your electric bill compared to what you currently have now even if you add the SWCG.

The SWG itself draws so little current that you shouldn’t even notice you have it. The pump however which you already run 24/7 will be a big draw but no different than it already is. If you don’t have a VS pump already it would completely pay for itself in 1 year. After that it would save you $80ish a month. I’ll turn my pump to 2800 rpms later to be able to give you the exact wattage difference.

Aaaaaahhhhhh. Ok. 2800 GPH. Gallons per hour. Still a lot. And probably only one max speed. Maybe somebody could figure out the math for the Rpms and wattage. For comparison, I just tunes my pump to 1100 rpms and it was drawing 134 watts. At 2800 rpms it was 1460. At full blast 3450 it’s 2880 watts. My pump is bigger than yours so the exact comparison is off, but the percentages of wattages for pump speed are probably close. I did a quick search and 1.5 Pentair pumps are between $600 and $1000 not including sales and rebates. The cheaper ones have 8 pre set speeds which would still drastically reduce your electric. Mine can dial in to 5 rpm increments. I leave it on a trickle 24/7 and we never notice the electric difference when we open the pool. My friend bought a no name knockoff for around $500 which does the trick but personally that’s a lot of money to gamble for me. For a little more you can get piece of mind from one of the big 3 brands which have thousands of people here who swear by them.

I looked up the 1.5 Pentair pump for fun. It pushes 48 GPM at 750 rpms. Yours does 46 GPM so there wouldn’t be much difference between the 2. And it would also explain why your electric isn’t sky high because 750 rpms on the Pentair or your pump. would probably be 80 to 90 watts. Definitely look into the fine details of whatever you choose. You could easily end up with the typical electric hog if you aren’t careful but your current pump appears very efficient.

Comment on post #25

Electricity cost in Williamson, WV for residential customers is $0.0957/kwh

20 hours per day of uncecessary pump run time for a 1.5KW pump is 30KWH per day. If you run it for 6 months: 30KWH/day x 180 days x $0.0957/KWH = $517 per year of unnecessary cost.

Comment on post #25

Electricity cost in Williamson, WV for residential customers is $0.0957/kwh

20 hours per day of uncecessary pump run time for a 1.5KW pump is 30KWH per day. If you run it for 6 months: 30KWH/day x 180 days x $0.0957/KWH = $517 per year of unnecessary cost.

OK, how is 20 hrs unnecessary? And how would I fix it? Thx to TFP I really get the chemicals but turnover time and actual needed run time I've never really thought about.

OK, how is 20 hrs unnecessary? And how would I fix it? Thx to TFP I really get the chemicals but turnover time and actual needed run time I've never really thought about.
We have discovered that "turnover" is really nothing to worry about. The only two real factors in run time are:

1. Minimum time necessary to generate the chlorine you need if you have a SWCG

2. Minimum time necessary to keep the water clear of debris.

It's all here:

Reactions: Steve_in_C

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.