Salt vs AOP/chlorine

Oh thank heavens, it will work on my large water park. So GLAD they mentioned that one because clearly it’s relevant to my needs.

They should have added a couple more lines they could "check".

Cheaper than more expensive products
Orange and blue case
Mounts in the pool area
Available for purchase
impresses your friends

While on the whole I would agree with your assessment of many FB groups. What I don't appreciate is your assumption that this relatively small group of pool owners, who happen to be using UV/Ozone, are incapable of giving their real-world experience using these systems.
I'm not the least bit interested in "real world experience" because what that adds up to is "my pool is clear so it must work". That's an opinion, not knowledge. I have seen things far more scientifically laughable than UV and Ozone (both of which have their uses, but not in a residential outdoor pool) get rave reviews by people. People dump random things in their pools all the time and whatever the last thing they added before it cleared up becomes the miracle product that they tell everyone about. So no, if someone is not knowledgeable about water chemistry then their experience does not count as "fact", it counts as opinion.

If you saw one of my other responses, you would know that my PB also does maintenance so I'm pretty sure they know a thing or two about chemistry. But hey, it's a great feedback loop going on here. Either your PB is just trying to sell you nonsense and snake oil, or, you can't trust what pool owners say about their UV/Ozone sanitation as they're all imbeciles. Everything conveniently points back to TFP as the ONLY approved method.
:laughblue:

Again, you have way too much trust in your pool builder. I cannot believe that someone who has been here more than a couple of months hasn't seen just how little the "professionals" tend to know. If you saw what goes in to managing a pool on a route compared to what TFP users do, you'd know why putting absolute trust in their title makes very literally laugh out loud.

As for everything coming back to TFP: we have plenty of data sources we can offer. Verifiable, peer reviewed, all that good stuff. So far you've offered opinions, sales pitches, and marketing material and expect us to treat it as if it were on the same level. Not going to happen.

Reactions: Saturn94
It looks like this system requires an annual cartridge at $295. I was looking for the consumables hook and this is it.

Their website also has several things that are simply not true. I really am hesitant with a product when the seller has to lie to sell it. Even their below chart is not correct and deceptive.

In practice, the above statement is almost never true.

View attachment 173478
Good thing I was never speaking directly to this Clear Comfort AOP system as I have no dog in this fight.

Yes, I should presume my PB who's been building and servicing residential and commercial pools for 45 years knows nothing about chemistry and their satisfied customers are just a mere figment of my imagination. Good grief.

I'm not the least bit interested in "real world experience" because what that adds up to is "my pool is clear so it must work". That's an opinion, not knowledge. I have seen things far more scientifically laughable than UV and Ozone (both of which have their uses, but not in a residential outdoor pool) get rave reviews by people. People dump random things in their pools all the time and whatever the last thing they added before it cleared up becomes the miracle product that they tell everyone about. So no, if someone is not knowledgeable about water chemistry then their experience does not count as "fact", it counts as opinion.

:laughblue:

Again, you have way too much trust in your pool builder. I cannot believe that someone who has been here more than a couple of months hasn't seen just how little the "professionals" tend to know. If you saw what goes in to managing a pool on a route compared to what TFP users do, you'd know why putting absolute trust in their title makes very literally laugh out loud.

As for everything coming back to TFP: we have plenty of data sources we can offer. Verifiable, peer reviewed, all that good stuff. So far you've offered opinions, sales pitches, and marketing material and expect us to treat it as if it were on the same level. Not going to happen.
Please point me to where I offered sales pitches and marketing material. I'll wait. The only thing I offered was A source of information to the original poster. It's on her to make an informed decision. And no, I wouldn't only listen to some yahoos who claim the stuff they poured in from the pool store was the best thing ever. I will consider evidence of good chem levels, lack of algae blooms, and ease of maintenance as things worth weighing.

Good thing I was never speaking directly to this Clear Comfort AOP system as I have no dog in this fight.

Yes, I should presume my PB who's been building and servicing residential and commercial pools for 45 years knows nothing about chemistry and their satisfied customers are just a mere figment of my imagination. Good grief.

That isn't what I said or implied. If you add enough chemicals, or enough "shock", or replace the water, a pool will look pretty good. Truth of the matter is, a pool requires almost nothing but chlorine (once it is initially balanced). So there is really no way to make money with pool maintenance unless you are selling your customers products that are ineffective, unneeded, or plain don't work. But if you oogah and boogah enough you'll get a crop of customers that you can get on maintenance contracts, which is good money, albeit unnecessary.

Realize that SWCGs are really, really bad for pool builders that also do maintenance. They provide just about everything a pool needs to be sanitary (again, after that initial balance). So it is no wonder that your builder is badmouthing them and trying to sell you a product that requires both maintenance for the unit and regular maintenance on the pool. I bet your builder also is telling you that your pool will require regular "shocking" with high chlorine levels.

For fun, ask your builder what cyanuric acid (CYA) level he recommends if you go with the AOP system. I bet he tells you either it doesn't matter or that you don't need any CYA.

Oh thank heavens, it will work on my large water park. So GLAD they mentioned that one because clearly it’s relevant to my needs.
Talk to the family of the girl who died at the whitewater center in Charlotte in 2016. They had a UV/minimal chlorine system but it didn't control the Naegleria fowleri amoeba that killed her.

" The deadly amoeba was found in all 11 water samples taken from the National Whitewater Center's fast-flowing whitewater channel, said Dr. Stephen Keener, Mecklenburg County's medical director. "

That isn't what I said or implied. If you add enough chemicals, or enough "shock", or replace the water, a pool will look pretty good. Truth of the matter is, a pool requires almost nothing but chlorine (once it is initially balanced). So there is really no way to make money with pool maintenance unless you are selling your customers products that are ineffective, unneeded, or plain don't work. But if you oogah and boogah enough you'll get a crop of customers that you can get on maintenance contracts, which is good money, albeit unnecessary.

Realize that SWCGs are really, really bad for pool builders that also do maintenance. They provide just about everything a pool needs to be sanitary (again, after that initial balance). So it is no wonder that your builder is badmouthing them and trying to sell you a product that requires both maintenance for the unit and regular maintenance on the pool. I bet your builder also is telling you that your pool will require regular "shocking" with high chlorine levels.

For fun, ask your builder what cyanuric acid (CYA) level he recommends if you go with the AOP system. I bet he tells you either it doesn't matter or that you don't need any CYA.
You're so off and I don't think you even bothered to read my replies. First off, I'm not using the AOP system so I have no need to defend it. You're correct in that once a pool is in balance, a SWG pool won't need one of those expensive maintenance contracts. My PB suggested the same and said going with UV/Ozone/Chlorinator will also eliminate the need for them to come out for servicing. You have no clue what my PB said so you'd never know that he never badmouthed SWG. He offered 3 sanitation methods for my pool including a SWG. He also never expressed that my pool will need regular "shocking" or used scare tactics. I'm a licensed GC and been in the AEC space for a long time. I'm not saying I can't be duped, however I'd like to think I've learned to smell a BS artist a mile away.

I mean the amount of bad-faith, ignorant assumptions here are legit breathtaking. No one is going to steal your "precious" SWG out from under you like Bilbo did to Gollum.

Yes, I should presume my PB who's been building and servicing residential and commercial pools for 45 years knows nothing about chemistry and their satisfied customers are just a mere figment of my imagination.
45 years of sales experience means someone is an expert at selling. Not just selling products, but selling ideas and selling themselves as knowledgeable sources of information regarding the products they are trying to sell. From everything I've seen, I would infer that he is indeed an expert salesperson.

That is awesome that you trust your pool builder.

This site is about people who want to take care of their own pool, with proper testing and following the FC/CYA relationship to keep their pools clean and safe to swim in. It is a method to take care of your pool, not the only method, but one that has proven results and solid science behind it.

As you are now painfully aware, we are very skeptical of these alternative sanitizers. Many times the marketing for these products prey on the notion that chlorine is bad which can be compounded by swimmers past experiences with poorly maintained pools causing chlorine smells, red eyes, etc. The motives behind a pool builder offering these systems is almost purely financial. It doesnt mean that the pool builder is a bad person, there is just an incentive based business model for upselling/ad-on equipment. This incentive based business model is no different from tons of industries from cars to healthcare/pharmaceuticals.

Maybe some day there will be solid science and a properly developed method to easily maintain a pool with an FDA approved sanitizer + one of these alternative sanitizers. Until then, most people on here are going to be skeptical and try to steer people away from something we see as an unnecessary upsell and some cases (mainly mineral systems) can cause issues down the road for the pool owner.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just out of curiosity, are any of you scared to swim in the ocean or a lake because they're not as sanitized as your pool?
Are you building a lake or an ocean? No? Then keep the discussion on pools. They are entirely different things and your diversion attempt is not exactly what I would call "good-faith".

You're so off and I don't think you even bothered to read my replies. First off, I'm not using the AOP system so I have no need to defend it. You're correct in that once a pool is in balance, a SWG pool won't need one of those expensive maintenance contracts. My PB suggested the same and said going with UV/Ozone/Chlorinator will also eliminate the need for them to come out for servicing. You have no clue what my PB said so you'd never know that he never badmouthed SWG. He offered 3 sanitation methods for my pool including a SWG. He also never expressed that my pool will need regular "shocking" or used scare tactics. I'm a licensed GC and been in the AEC space for a long time. I'm not saying I can't be duped, however I'd like to think I've learned to smell a BS artist a mile away.

I mean the amount of bad-faith, ignorant assumptions here are legit breathtaking. No one is going to steal your "precious" SWG out from under you like Bilbo did to Gollum.

Oh sorry I apologize I thought you were the one being sold the product and trying to justify it over the advice of this forum.

That is awesome that you trust your pool builder.

This site is about people who want to take care of their own pool, with proper testing and following the FC/CYA relationship to keep their pools clean and safe to swim in. It is a method to take care of your pool, not the only method, but one that has proven results and solid science behind it.

As you are now painfully aware, we are very skeptical of these alternative sanitizers. Many times the marketing for these products prey on the notion that chlorine is bad which can be compounded by swimmers past experiences with poorly maintained pools causing chlorine smells, red eyes, etc. The motives behind a pool builder offering these systems is almost purely financial. It doesnt mean that the pool builder is a bad person, there is just an incentive based business model for upselling/ad-on equipment. This incentive based business model is no different from tons of industries from cars to healthcare/pharmaceuticals.

Maybe some day there will be solid science and a properly developed method to easily maintain a pool with an FDA approved sanitizer + one of these alternative sanitizers. Until then, most people on here are going to be skeptical and try to steer people away from something we see as an unnecessary upsell and some cases (mainly mineral systems) can cause issues down the road for the pool owner.
I appreciate your thoughtful and measured response. I totally understand the reticence about believing in new "magic" cures. I can only speak for my own experience where my PB listed the pros/cons of each method and his overall lack of pressure to buy one thing over the other. The UV/Ozone was a little less than the SWG option(and I searched pricing on my own as well before deciding). I will say he never mentioned using any of those mineral systems like copper ionizers and the like. They warranty the equipment above and beyond the manufacturer's own warranty no matter the sanitation method they offered. No hard selling on pool service either. He said I could definitely manage it all myself and it wouldn't be hard. The only "extras" I went for were the in-floor cleaning system and the Wet Edge pebble finish, which after researching, seemed worthwhile investments over cleaning robots and regular plaster. I hope to come back later this summer(if TFP will have me) and offer my own chem results and opinions, both good and bad. Cheers.

Reactions: JJ_Tex and Newdude
LOL. Okay, fair enough.
Since you mentioned it, the ocean gets all the UV it needs from the sun. (As will your pool). I wouldn’t recommend a supplementary UV system for the ocean either. Lol.
(All in good fun I SWEAR !!!).

Last edited:
Reactions: NewPoolDad
My UV story.......... Added the Paramount UV2 to my build because I thought I needed a secondary system based on the failures of my neighbors with their pools. (I later found out they really don't understand their pool chemistry and the CYA/FC relationship). The UV system ran 24/7 along with my pump during the pool season. I came upon TFP and switched to liquid chorine and removed the pucks from my inline chorine feeder when I found my CYA reached 70. Though I believed in the TFP system, I was still a contrarian(and out the money for the UV system) so I felt the need to see if I could run lower FC levels than the TFP recommended 8-10 and minimum of 5 for my CYA level. For the most part it worked. I'd top off my FC at 4.0 in the AM and typically burn through 1.5-2 ppm during the day. Being a newbie I tested the pool everyday.
Then I pushed my upper FC limit down to 3.0. That worked until about mid July when I suddenly bottomed out to nearly 0 FC on my morning test. I resumed the 4.0 FC top level for the better part of the year and lowered my CYA by pumping water out after heavy rains.
What did I learn from all of this? As usual, TFP knows best. I don't see that I saved any chlorine by using the UV system. My burnout rate was similar to everybody else's. Assuming I wasn't just lucky, and the UV running 24/7 truly allowed me to run lower FC levels, what's the benefit? It was a fun little experiment, but to what end? I could have just followed the TFP recommendation and raised my FC top level to begin with, used the same amounts to make up for my daily loss and saved the expense of the UV system. In my opinion their is no practical or financial benefit to using a UV system. That said, I'm glad TFP gives us a corner to talk about this without muddying up the core message in the rest of the forum. I'm one of those people who always asks "why?" and over analyzes everything. I know some people have been on this forum for some time and probably tire of the "challenges" to the TFP method. While I'm feel your pain, I think it's helpful to welcome the dialogue regarding other methodologies which only serve to buttress the simple, practical, cost effective superiority of the TFP methodology.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.