salt reading high, but pool store results salt read low

Apr 9, 2011
We have a 3 year old salt pool. The Aqua Logic control panel reads that the salt level is 4100, the pool store says it is at 2900. The real probelm is we keep getting a "high salt/amps" error and it stops producing chlorine. Which the chlorine reading is fine. We had our salt cell tested and it is still good. Do I trust the pool store or the reading from my control panel? FYI - we had already emptied some water and added more which brought the salt level down from the 4700 original reading. Advice?

Welcome to TFP!

Trust the AquaRite control panel. The AquaRite will read salt as lower than actual when the cell is failing, but other than that it is quite reliable. Meanwhile, pool store test results have a habit of being wildly wrong much more often than you might expect.

It sounds like you are going to need to replace some water to get the salt level down. You are close to the high salt cutoff, so you shouldn't need to replace very much more water.

At greater than 3500 ppm of salinity, you can dip your fingers and taste the water. You should taste the salt distinctly if it's 4100 ppm. At 2900, you should just barely taste the salt. That's my Finger Dip Test. Not quite scientific but it works for me... As Long As The Water LOOKS CLEAN.

What does the Aquarite show on the Instant Salinity Test?

Rather, 4700 ppm! The pool was drained down to get to 4100 ppm.
It doesn't happen often, but excessive metals in the water can increase conductivity of the water, and may be read as salinity. Or metal debris bridging across several blades can do this too.
It's more of a stretch, but still, a possibility.

Have you checked your TDS lately? Is the water clear or cloudy?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.