Salt Overdose! How many feet is 5,000 gallons of water in a 25K gallon pool?

Feb 19, 2017
Phoenixville, PA
So I overdosed the salt- 4800ppm on a 25,000 gallon pool. I tried two dilutions already and the numbers are not decreasing enough. I have well water so I ordered a water delivery to eliminate stressing my well. The minimum load is 5,000 gallons so I wanted to pump of just enough so I can take the whole load.

It's a freeform 25k gallon 3ft to 10 ft

So I overdosed the salt- 4800ppm on a 25,000 gallon pool. I tried two dilutions already and the numbers are not decreasing enough. I have well water so I ordered a water delivery to eliminate stressing my well. The minimum load is 5,000 gallons so I wanted to pump of just enough so I can take the whole load.

It's a freeform 25k gallon 3ft to 10 ft
You need to know the surface area of the pool to figure this out.

pb,

How are you getting your salt reading of 4800? If from the cell via ScreenLogic, be aware that the IC40 is notorious for providing incorrect results. Usually low a low salt reading , but not necessarily.

Even when the sensor is working correctly it is +/- 500 ppm.

Just a heads up,

Jim R.

I have a Leslies near home and one on the way to Lowes. I have them do a salt test at both, then infer the correct one from that.

Just for example. I had my pool at 3100 PPM finally getting it all dialed in, three inches below full btw. So then I turn on the auto fill and bring it up and guess what I'm at 3800 PPM after adding three inches of fresh water! Go figure.

IOW, the salt generator PPM is flakey, fickle, and often wrong.

Jim

It was a new start up and after reading the chart I dumped in 16 bags. I was counting on the IC40 salt light indicator to stop blinking as I added salt but quickly realized that was a bad idea. Intellichem was reading 4900ppm and IC40 diagnostic was reading 1500ppm so I did a dip test and was reading around 4000ppm. I then took a water sample over to to the pool store and the used a TRACER digital and was reading 4600ppm.

pb,

What does the cell report now in ScreenLogic..??

Keep in mind the salt reading only gets updated every 12 hour after start up, so if you are looking for an instant change that will not be happening.

The manual for the SWG says to add salt and wait 24 hour before taking a reading.

If you shut off the pump, the power to the SWCG's transformer should go away.. then turning on the pump will apply power to the transformer again and make the cell go through its cal routine. Salt lights flash back and forth until cal is complete.

I have no clue how, or if, the IntelliChem changes the picture..

Jim R.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.