salt loss due to heat pump?

Hello,
I have what seems to be a strange/silly/dumb question...

I set up the pool, everything was balanced for about 2.5 weeks prior to heat pump installation (Nautyl, 12 000BTU electric heat pump). We have had no rain (at least not any that would significantly contribute to salt dilution). But my SWG sensor went off giving me a low salt warning. So I checked it and it had decreased from 3400ppm (a bit on the high side) to 2800ppm and the SWG would not run causing a decrease in FC (no surprise). Using the Pool Math Calculator, I increased the salt by the recommended amount... a few days later my SWG is giving me a high salt warning and sure enough it had increased to 3800ppm. So I am in the process of draining/adding new water to lower the salt level.
I am wondering if it is possible for a heat decrease your salt level?
The other option: Is my SWG is broken?

I am open to any insights and suggestions.
Thank you.
Chantelle

Salt does not evaporate if anything it would get more concentrated if the water level were to drop due to evaporation. Only way for salt level to go down is water removal. I would say you have 1 of 2 scenarios bad sensor on the cell or a leak in the pool. If you have an auto fill a leak can go on for some time before it is noticed. If you suspect a leak and see no visual evidence you can try a bucket test to be sure.

Salt does not evaporate if anything it would get more concentrated if the water level were to drop due to evaporation. Only way for salt level to go down is water removal. I would say you have 1 of 2 scenarios bad sensor on the cell or a leak in the pool. If you have an auto fill a leak can go on for some time before it is noticed. If you suspect a leak and see no visual evidence you can try a bucket test to be sure.

So if I understand you correctly, either a faulty sensor in my SWG, or evaporation (good chance given the weeks of extreme heat wave in our area. I had not considered evaporation because I have a solar cover...

I am not sure I understand how a leak in my pool would cause salt lose (I do not have a autofill option). I have not added any water to it, except today to lower the elevated salt level... None the less I will also check for a leak.

Thank you.

The other possibility is that the flow rate when the heat pump is on is starving the salt cell from flow.

I have a variable speed pump and when experimenting, discovered this phenom.

Try resetting your swg and running without heat pump on and see if your salt level reads higher/normal.

If so, you might want to alternate your heating with your swg operation.

Oh that is an interesting thought, too.
I had just been running my SWG on FP mode when the heat pump is on, and then running the normal cycle in the evening when the pool was not in use.
Sadly, I have been away on business the last few days, so I am trying to regulate the salt issue. I hope a few days of too much salt won't kill my pumps...

Thank you for your wisdom, it is always appreciated.

No worries on higher salt content for your pumps. Rest easy.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.