Allen, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair iChlor 30
Hi! So - I had my SWG system installed 2 days ago. I specifically told the pool guy to check salt levels before adding salt to make sure we dose it correctly. Of course, he didn't do that. My salt is reading 4150. I went in yesterday and could definitely taste the salt. The instruction book says the optimal level is 3500 - so I guess in reality 4150 is not that far off the mark. In any case, brought it up to the pool guy and his recommendation is to add water for 15 or 20 minutes per day until the salt level goes down. He also pointed to the upcoming rain as also helping. My question though is that I thought the only real way to lower salt is to drain some of the water from the pool and then refill with fresh water. Just refilling doesn't seem like it would help unless I refill to the point that the extra water is draining in the overflow vent? Thoughts? If I lower to 3500 - do you all think that I will still be able to taste salt or should I go a little lower like 3250?

Always refer to the manual. For your SWCG:

1715877538394.png

Your salt level is just fine...for the SWCG. The only way to reduce salt is through removing water...not evaporation. Splash-out, backwash, rain with overflow on the pool.

Everyone is different on the taste. I taste anything above 2800.

I would leave it alone and in the future, target 3600 as recommended in the manual. It will provide the best performance and cell life.

Hkd,

You can add water if you have an overflow drain, otherwise you really need to drain some of the pool water.

I can start tasting the salt level above 3800 or so...

If this were my pool I would drain enough water to get the salt level down to about 3500..

All owners of saltwater pools need the ability to measure the 'actual' salt level in the pool, so they can compare it to the 'reported' salt level from the cell. I use the Taylor K-1766 and the speed-stir, which is almost required to easily use test kit.

Thanks,

Jim R.