Salt levels

Jun 4, 2015
Bedford NH
Just opening pool up this year and getting through SLAM. Changing over to salt water pool with swg. Tested pool water with SALT-3050 and came back already at 2200ppm. Meter reads spring water at 30ppm so seems accurate.

why is there so much salt already in pool? Could it be measuring other TDS?

Your TDS meter read's the concentration of ALL conductive ion species in water (sodium, calcium, chloride, nitrates, sulfates, etc, etc, etc). If it is not accurately calibrated to known chloride standards with a calibration factor determined for your pool water, you will not get accurate reading. That means that you must know the exact concentration of your standards to ensure the meters linearity AND you must know the concentration of chloride ions in your pool water in order to establish a calibration factor for the meter.

The only accurate method of measuring salt content is to use a Taylor K-1766 test kit. It is a chemical measurement of the chloride ion (Cl-) concentration in the water which is the only thing that matters for an SWG. Anything other type of "salt" measurement is a proxy-method which is subject to huge variations depending on what else is in the water, temperature, etc.

Your water can easily have upwards of 1000ppm of salt (chloride) in it already from acid (hydrogen chloride) or liquid chlorine/bleach (hypochlorite degrades to chloride ion).

Good point thanks for the response. I am awaiting my standard solution to come in mail and probably will pick up the Taylor kit too. I figured it was something to do with bleach and HCL addition as well and the reason it was already elevated.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.