Salt Level Reading Dropping - Pool has tons of salt

Feb 26, 2015
Austin
So the salt readout is showing 2400 and I'm getting warning flashes. It was also low in April, so I added a few bags with no change to the reading. I cleaned the filters and acid washed the cell. Once it was powered back up, the reading showed 4900!

So I left it alone, but every other day I'd see the level drop by 100ppm to the current level of 2400. We've had some rain, but not enough to drop the salt level by 2500ppm and no outsplashing. The Taylor salt test is hard to read, since the drops just turn into a chunky mess and don't start getting pink until 30+. So by that test, the salt level is 6000+. The salt cell isn't even 2 years old yet. Time for a replacement?

Also, there are no pool leaks and I don't have an auto fill. The only water that was added in the last month was rain.

The Taylor K-1766 salt test is really straight foreword. I use a speed stirrer. Any chance you aren't swirling enough as you add drops, filling water to the wrong level in the tube? If you really need 30+ drops, that's a big hint that you have too much salt in the pool. What brand and size SWG do you have?

P.S. I call the color it turns "dark red clay" and it turns to that color within one drop not gradually.

The Taylor K-1766 salt test is really straight foreword. I use a speed stirrer. Any chance you aren't swirling enough as you add drops, filling water to the wrong level in the tube? If you really need 30+ drops, that's a big hint that you have too much salt in the pool. What brand and size SWG do you have?

P.S. I call the color it turns "dark red clay" and it turns to that color within one drop not gradually.

Agree with Philo something is out of whack, the Taylor salt test is pretty straight forward. I know this is controversial, but could you get the salt level tested by a store to get another data point? They usually don't screw that one up, usually. (and leave your wallet at home)

Have you used the Taylor test previously successfully?

I've done the Taylor test twice and followed the instructions to a T.

The cell is a Hayward T-15, installed in August 2015.

What was your salt level like last year? How much, if any, salt have you added this year. For your volume each move up 1000 would require about 225lbs of salt.

Get a salt test done at a pool store. (no wallets allowed)

What was your salt level like last year? How much, if any, salt have you added this year. For your volume each move up 1000 would require about 225lbs of salt.

Get a salt test done at a pool store. (no wallets allowed)
Yep, gonna do that tomorrow. Luckily, the T-15 has a 3 year warranty, so my pool co. has to replace it. They really hate me. They had to replace the pump after 1.2 years and now this.

Guess I'll be dumping in bleach for a couple of weeks.

I did a full clean/acid wash of the filters and salt cell today. I've been running the pump on high for 6 hours and the salt level now shows 3200....up from 2200 this morning. Oh well, at least it's generating again and I don't have to go buy bleach tonight. We'll see how long this lasts.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.