Brownsburg, IN
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Truclear / Ei
I read on here a lot that even chlorine pools have some salt in them. Can someone explain where the salt comes from? I’m sure it’s a breakdown from the basic chems we add, like liquid chlorine, but I’m interested in the what’s and how’s so I can explain it to someone else. Thanks!

Look at this thread starting at post #3. I think it covers that question quite well.

Reactions: JodieM
Do chlorine pucks also contain some salt?

“For every 10 ppm Free Chlorine (FC) in chlorinating liquid or bleach, there is also around 8-9 ppm salt. When the chlorine gets used/consumed, there is another 8-9 ppm salt for a total of 17 ppm salt.

ALL sources of chlorine result in salt, but chlorinating liquid and bleach (as well as lithium hypochlorite) add additional salt when you add the chlorine. Of course, other sources of chlorine add other things than salt.

The references above directly answer your question. I thought I'd add that I switched to salt after 5 years of liquid chlorine. Before adding any salt I tested for salt and it showed 1100 ppm. I think it would have been much higher if I didn't live here in Florida where I drain several feet of water due to massive rains we get every year.

Chris

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.