Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite Pro (T-15)
Hi Everyone

When I first joined the forum around June, my Hayward panel was reading salt really low, about 2400. Using the pool Calc, it called for about 1.5 bags of salt, I ended up dumping 2 bags in and it was reading around 4000.

Since then, it's still reading at 4000. The water is noticeably salty and I get salt buildup on our solar cover.

What strikes me as odd as it's been close to 2 months, and if I run my pump at 30% with the T-cell at 50%, my chlorine will actually climb pretty high (9.8 yesterday).

Before joining TFP, I struggled to keep my chlorine above 0 (I didn't even know what CYA was!) and I was dumping a bag of salt just about once a month.

Any ideas? I don't mind the lowered consumption, just find it odd that it's been close to 2 month and my salt is still [too] high and there's obviously no problem with chlorine generation.

Just googled, I guess I should get a salt test, clean my t-cell, and check and/or recalibrate.

still doesn't explain why it hasn't needed salt for 2 months.

Salt doesn't get consumed. When chlorine gets consumed it is converted back to chloride, nothing is lost. You should never have to add more unless you remove liquid water and replace it with fresh water, salt doesn't get lost to evaporation.

You can't rely on the SWG exclusively to get your salt readings, you need to do separate testing occasionally. Especially if you are noticing the salt it could be higher than 4000 ppm. A Taylor k-1766 salt test is the best option for an accurate salt reading.

Salt doesn't get consumed. When chlorine gets consumed it is converted back to chloride, nothing is lost. You should never have to add more unless you remove liquid water and replace it with fresh water, salt doesn't get lost to evaporation.

You can't rely on the SWG exclusively to get your salt readings, you need to do separate testing occasionally. Especially if you are noticing the salt it could be higher than 4000 ppm. A Taylor k-1766 salt test is the best option for an accurate salt reading.
really??? I was told I needed to add approx a bag per month.

Between my builder, his maintenance contractor, 2 separate cleaning services, and my local (and highly rated) pool store, it seems absolutely no one know anything about pools.

Amazing. Looks like I need to test, possibly recalibrate, and very possibly dilute.
I guess the depletion I experienced earlier this year was just a good old fashioned North Texas spring. It was pretty intense.

Purchase a Taylor Test kit and do not rely on the board. It is a running average. Mine always runs high on the board, about 400 ppm higher than what I am testing. Because of testing error, I keep my level in between the minimum and maximum recommended. Even Hayward could not answer how the board calculates the salt reading, but there must be some logic behind. Good luck and keep us posted.

I have to add a few bags each year due to me lowering the water level below the skimmer for closing. This year, I will not lower the water. Since the beginning, I have not had to add even with the addition of all rain water. Salt is level behind. You may lose some to backwashing, but that is about it unless you have a slow leak and do not realize it due to heavy rains, etc.

I haven't had to add any salt to my salt-clients since initial spring balance, and that was with record rain levels around here this year.
You're right... we used to have a saying around here like a decade ago. '90% of the people in the industry don't know anything about pool chemistry. The other 10% think they do.'

The only time I have added salt all season was when I drained below the Skimmer to make some repairs. Adding back fresh water, I got a Low salt alarm. Other than that, it's been perfect. It's one of the benefits of using a SWG. The maintenance is next to zero once everything is set.

amazing. I'm at 50% generation and still getting high chlorine, I need to set up a schedule to dial it in.

Other than shocking after a party, the only thing I find myself doing is adding muriatic acid since I tend to run the pump often (spa spillover) and ph is always hovering around 7.7-7.8

I've added CYA once since initially adding, and it's due again since I've had to top off the pool recently.

Thanks for the input everyone! Ever since discovering this site, I've done very, very little to the pool. Even the filter stays cleaner longer, not sure how that's possible but it's been a month since I cleaned it, it used to dirty up every 5 days or so.

I’m still new to SWCGs also, and even at 50%-60% output I was getting insane 8-10 ppm Chlorine levels also. I didn’t know better, and I was still adding salt since previous owner’s pool guy didn’t keep level up after a drain/fill.

I get my ideal Chlorine level in the heat of the summer now at 30% of rated panel/board power while running pump for 8-10 hrs. Just turn off your SWCG for a few days to lower the Chlorine. The Hayward panel is never accurate. My Taylor test is 3800 and board says 3100. I read it is more accurate at higher water temps, but not in my experience. My cell is less than a year old too. Get the test kit fo sho!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.