Fletcher, OH
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Morning, folks! We have a 20k gallon vinyl pool going in in mid-September. We live in Ohio, so that means we will have just enough time to get it filled, balanced, and close it up.... Bummer, but at least we'll have it for a full season next year. My question is this. I have an IntelliCenter i5P with an IC-40 SCG cell. We will also have an auto cover. I understand that I need to get the water chemistry stable before turning the cell on. I also understand that the salt cell doesn't produce chlorine under 52 degrees F.

So....my question is this: Since the cell won't run over winter, would I be best to get the chemistry where it needs to be and then immediately close the pool for the season, and then install the SCG when I open the pool in the spring (I have a dummy cell, so can leave that in there)? Should I go ahead and install it and let it run a bit and then winterize? Hate to burn propane for very long just to chlorinate, but I definitely don't want to open up to a disaster next spring.

Any advice would sure be appreciated. Thanks for bearing with a newbie!

Wes

The reason I would install it more or less right away (you will be able to get your water balanced in a day or two with a vinyl pool) is to make sure it works in conjunction with the Intellicenter, for warranty purposes. I'd like to make sure everything was firing up correctly, including the SWCG and heater. It will only cost you the extra salt for the water that you will pump out to close, so peanuts. Then you can pop it out when you close if you want to. I leave mine installed year-round. Though I do bring my pump in though. First one died prematurely due to moisture from snow/rain for 5 months sitting unused.

Reactions: Mdragger88
I'm in the other camp. Did you purchase the IC40 already? Is so, can it be returned? Those things are not super reliable. I know, I'm on my third one already, in less than three years! They have a component that is notorious for breaking down, which Pentair has known about for years but has yet to address. I would buy and install an IC40 just right before I was ready to turn it on (in the spring). Why burn up six months of warranty for nothing? You might very well need that extra six months if you get one that poops out sooner than later. These things have a lifespan, based on the number of hours they generate chlorine, then they need to be replaced. That's fine. But that means, for many pools, that the unit could be good for 3 or 5 or even 7 years or more. Pentair should warrant the entire unit for that lifespan, but they don't. So you need to stretch what paltry warranty they do offer as best you can.

I'm in the other camp. Did you purchase the IC40 already? Is so, can it be returned? Those things are not super reliable. I know, I'm on my third one already, in less than three years! They have a component that is notorious for breaking down, which Pentair has known about for years but has yet to address. I would buy and install an IC40 just right before I was ready to turn it on (in the spring). Why burn up six months of warranty for nothing? You might very well need that extra six months if you get one that poops out sooner than later. These things have a lifespan, based on the number of hours they generate chlorine, then they need to be replaced. That's fine. But that means, for many pools, that the unit could be good for 3 or 5 or even 7 years or more. Pentair should warrant the entire unit for that lifespan, but they don't. So you need to stretch what paltry warranty they do offer as best you can.
I would think all equipment is coming via the PB and that equipment return option may be tougher to arrange in that case?

I would think all equipment is coming via the PB and that equipment return option may be tougher to arrange in that case?
Understood, and maybe he's getting one of those package deals where the IC comes with the controller, which is even worse for my idea. But it sounds like nothing's in stone yet, so it might be worth a conversation with the PB to see if there's any way to manipulate when the IC warranty will actually begin. So far, I've only paid for the first of my ICs, but at $600+ a pop I'm worried about how this is going to shake out when my warranty is up...

Wes,

Not sure what Dirk is doing to his IC40's, but I have one on a rent house that is over 10 years old, I just replace one on another rent house that was over 7 years old. I got hit by lightning at my house, and Pentair replaced that one under warranty, so the one in there now is only 3 years old..

I guess my point is.. if you are a doctor, and all you see are sick people, it is pretty easy to believe that everyone is sick.. I am not arguing that Pentair has, or had, an issue with their flow switches, but, the vast majority of users never have an issue.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: Dirk
I hope I'm just being paranoid, because at my current use rate my IC should last at least seven years, and that'd be great! But I stand by my point: if you can "extend" your warranty by six months, just with a conversation with the PB, why wouldn't you?

I am so sorry for not responding - just came to the site to post another thread, and it appears that my notifications were not working, so I had no idea you all had responded. As pondered above, I did purchase the IC40 with the IntelliCenter as a bundle, so the warranty is what it is. Based on what I'm seeing, I'll likely get it fired up to confirm operation and then just pull it back out for the winter. I'm trying to keep everything Pentair since that's the automation solution I chose - perhaps more about my OCD than anything, but I'm hoping that makes finger-pointing less likely. I really appreciate all the perspective. You guys are truly the best! -Wes

Welcome fellow Buckeye. We installed our pool late in the season like you are. My wife talked me into a late season swim just before we closed it so we could say that we swam in it the first year. She got in first and said the water was fine, just jump in. Right!!!!

I purchased a shorty wetsuit and a thermometer shortly afterward.

Reactions: wgipe
I am so sorry for not responding - just came to the site to post another thread, and it appears that my notifications were not working, so I had no idea you all had responded. As pondered above, I did purchase the IC40 with the IntelliCenter as a bundle, so the warranty is what it is. Based on what I'm seeing, I'll likely get it fired up to confirm operation and then just pull it back out for the winter. I'm trying to keep everything Pentair since that's the automation solution I chose - perhaps more about my OCD than anything, but I'm hoping that makes finger-pointing less likely. I really appreciate all the perspective. You guys are truly the best! -Wes
Speaking of warranty... Pentair extends their warranty to three years for everything if you buy enough qualifying components. I think your list would qualify. Hopefully your PB signed you up for that.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Speaking of warranty... Pentair extends their warranty to three years for everything if you buy enough qualifying components. I think your list would qualify. Hopefully your PB signed you up for that.
Yes sir - we did buy the full package from Pentair, and they are applying for the extension to 3 years.

Welcome fellow Buckeye. We installed our pool late in the season like you are. My wife talked me into a late season swim just before we closed it so we could say that we swam in it the first year. She got in first and said the water was fine, just jump in. Right!!!!

I purchased a shorty wetsuit and a thermometer shortly afterward.
I have a feeling we are in for the same experience.... :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.