Salt block while waiting for new part

Jul 5, 2019
Chesterfield, MO
My customers electric was struck by lightning.The control panel and salt water generator was destroyed. Can I buy a salt block and put it in my customers pool while I wait for new pool controller and salt generator to arrive? I installed a time clock to run the pump 12 hours a day but the generator is not operational.

Welcome to the forum!
You do realize that the Salt Water Generator, as you call it, generates chlorine, right? The salt does not change.
Your customer needs to add liquid chlorine to the pool each day and mix it in. I would suggest about 5 ppm FC worth.

I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry and consider reviewing the entire Pool School eBook.

What brand SWG was it? Are you going to have to replace both the SWG and the controler? If the system wasn't powered up at the time of the strike the cell may be fine. But its probably best to replace all of it.

I'm curious since it looks like you are the electician.. What was stuck by lightening? If it was a power/utility pole then your client may have some recourse through the owner of the pole since by code in most states they are supposed to be grounded to prevent strikes like this from jumping into residential lines. My brother went through this with the local cable company and was able to prove the utility pole that was struck was improperly grounded... he got a nice settlement since the lighting took out every computer in his home office network. So take pics of everything incase there is possibiltiy of a claim. If it was a tree.. hmm maybe home owners insurance.

You need bleach, not salt. And not just any bleach --- you need to make sure it isn't splashless or scented or loaded with fabric protectors like cloromax.

All a saltwater generator does is create bleach out of salt water. When it gets used up, it reverts back to salt.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.