Safety Question - Solar Covers

Floater22

May 2, 2020
WNY
Have a 1.5yr old and are planning to start swim lessons right away, but have a question about solar covers. This will be our third season with our in-ground pool and have used a solar cover regularly. It seems to help reduce chlorine usage, and maintain a temperature really well as we use our NG heater minimally and maintain temperatures in the 80’s season long in the north east.

That said, I could see how a solar cover can be dangerous to anyone falling into a pool - adult or child. Are we playing with fire by continuing to use a solar cover? Does having the pool area completely fenced off mitigate the risk enough? From my perspective the cover is a problem if it prevents an otherwise able swimmer from getting themself out of the water in an accident. Does this matter with small children that can’t really swim anyway? Is there an age/skill level that it does?

Someone falling in is a risk because their response in a panic situation may vary widely. Perhaps cutting the cover into smaller sections would mitigate such a risk for an able swimmer? Interested to hear other perspectives.

Reactions: newdude
Are we playing with fire by continuing to use a solar cover?
Yes.
Does having the pool area completely fenced off mitigate the risk enough
For a 1.5 years old, yes. For a 3.5 year old that climbs faster than a monkey, no. But the hope is the fence slows them down enough that you realize they are gone/ out there.

Fortifying any entry points will help just as well. But in the end it comes down to vigilance and physically watching the littles.
From my perspective the cover is a problem if it prevents an otherwise able swimmer from getting themself out of the water in an accident
My dog ran across mine the moment I put it on the first time. To him it was a shortcut. He instantly got sucked into a cocoon with a couple hundred gallons of water. He could not budge and luckily he was stuck with his head above water. It took me 5 mins to get the ridiculously heavy dog/water cocoon to the stairs to free him. I'm a big dude and my wife would not have been able to move him. If I wasn't there, or he was stuck upside down, it likely would have turned out different. Literally 15 mins into using the cover for the first time, we decreed that there would be no animals or children near the pool if the cover was on. Period. Once the cover was off, they could roam or swim with supervision.

Reactions: kdahlgren249
I had two different dog experiences. One dog went running and jumped on it when we first installed it. From that experience, that dog never went near the pool again even when the cover was off the pool. Our other dog wouldn't never try to step on the cover. I am guessing she accidentally fell in one day when the cover was one. All I know is that I was cooking dinner and she was looking at me soaking wet. I went outside to find where she fell in versus the steps. She fell in opposite the side where the steps are located. I have no idea how she got to the steps.

I had solar cover on for 15 years. My kids were not young when we started.

Yes.

For a 1.5 years old, yes. For a 3.5 year old that climbs faster than a monkey, no. But the hope is the fence slows them down enough that you realize they are gone/ out there.

Fortifying any entry points will help just as well. But in the end it comes down to vigilance and physically watching the littles.

My dog ran across mine the moment I put it on the first time. To him it was a shortcut. He instantly got sucked into a cocoon with a couple hundred gallons of water. He could not budge and luckily he was stuck with his head above water. It took me 5 mins to get the ridiculously heavy dog/water cocoon to the stairs to free him. I'm a big dude and my wife would not have been able to move him. If I wasn't there, or he was stuck upside down, it likely would have turned out different. Literally 15 mins into using the cover for the first time, we decreed that there would be no animals or children near the pool if the cover was on. Period. Once the cover was off, they could roam or swim with supervision.
Luckily my dog has no interest in the water and even in the winter respects where the pool is.

Kids would definitely not be allowed in the pool area with the cover on. But that’s my point. I’m thinking of scenarios where a child has gotten into the pool area unattended. My gut says that it’s essentially the same if someone who cannot swim gets into the pool area with or without a cover. Someone that can swim, but is not strong enough to also overcome the challenges of being trapped by the cover is different, or is it?

my dog has no interest in the water and even in the winter respects where the pool is.
He will think you paved the pool once the cover is on. Bless his heart. But his reasoning skills are terrible.
My gut says that it’s essentially the same if someone who cannot swim gets into the pool area with or without a cover.
A non swimmer has a better chance with no cover. They aren't falling in the smack middle of the pool and may be able to get to, or hold on to the side. If they are wrapped up in the cover, maybe not.

Or if they fall in the shallow end they can jump and scream if they aren't big enough to touch bottom with no cover. Say, a 3 or 4 year old. If they are wrapped up in the cover, they can't.

Or they go under the cover and a 5 or 6 year old that can swim is effectively trapped and can't push up hard enough, while swimming, to make an air pocket. Kinda like being trapped under the ice on a frozen pond up north

The cover drastically resuces survival chances in any scenario. Anything larger than a squirrel will flood the cover and become trapped.

He will think you paved the pool once the cover is on. Bless his heart. But his reasoning skills are terrible.

A non swimmer has a better chance with no cover. They aren't falling in the smack middle of the pool and may be able to get to, or hold on to the side. If they are wrapped up in the cover, maybe not.

Or if they fall in the shallow end they can jump and scream if they aren't big enough to touch bottom with no cover. Say, a 3 or 4 year old. If they are wrapped up in the cover, they can't.

Or they go under the cover and a 5 or 6 year old that can swim is effectively trapped and can't push up hard enough, while swimming, to make an air pocket. Kinda like being trapped under the ice on a frozen pond up north

The cover drastically resuces survival chances in any scenario. Anything larger than a squirrel will flood the cover and become trapped.
Fair assessment.

The pool isn’t new, btw. Baby wasn’t even crawling last year to be concerned about it. Dog has no issues and just avoids it all together. Doesn’t matter if there is a cover or not

I’ve had a personal experience with a toddler that fell into pool and was clinging to the side underneath the blanket. We heard a strange sound from our neighbors yard and went outside to investigate, the neighbors had friends over and we’re oblivious to the toddler escaping out the kitchen, through the garage door and into the backyard. Had we not gone over I have no doubt a death would of occurred.

Please, please, please, if you have toddlers, keep your pool secured and keep an eye on them 24/7.

Reactions: proavia and newdude
keep your pool secure
One way or another, and i don't even care how. (y) Lock the house down like Fort Knox, instead of the yard, and the yard is with supervision only. Whatever ya gotta do. Use your judgement to assess the risks at every stage, like last year with an infant, now with an accidental risk, and 2 years from now with a kid who could put Houdini to shame and be out there on purpose.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.