Safety Equipment

bownut

Gold Supporter
May 7, 2016
Fayetteville
We are having a lot of friends with kids over this summer to swim in our pool. A lifeguard has been hired. She mentioned some safety equipment that is required for public pools such as a lifeguard rescue tube, spineboard, hook pole, and ring buoy. Our pool is 20x40. The rescue tube I think is a must, and she has her own whistle. We do not have a diving board or slide. I am wondering if we really need this additional safety equipment.

I mean I think in the end it comes down to your comfort and the lifeguard’s comfort. I don’t believe that there are any requirements for private pools to have that equipment, so I don’t think you would be required to get it. But public pools do have it for a reason and if you have a lot of people in and out of the pool then it’s more likely that there might be an accident and it could be helpful to have.

You might buy it and never need it, but if you don’t buy it and something happens where it could have been helpful then you might wind up regretting that decision. I don’t think anyone has ever really regretted having too much safety equipment.

Reactions: lazygirl1978
I am always on the side of better to be safe than sorry. The backboard however is just for show. In the case of a head or spine injury, only the EMTs should move the patient. Simply moving them to the backboard improperly could cause far more injury and a trained lifeguard is not a trained EMT.

I am always on the side of better to be safe than sorry. The backboard however is just for show. In the case of a head or spine injury, only the EMTs should move the patient. Simply moving them to the backboard improperly could cause far more injury and a trained lifeguard is not a trained EMT.

I don’t believe that the backboard is just for show, and there are cases where someone might need to be moved before the EMT’s arrive, such as if someone dove into the shallow end of the pool and hit their head on the bottom. If someone is in the water with a potential spine or neck injury then they would need to be moved at least enough to enable them to breathe while waiting for the EMT’s. I do agree that any backboard use (or ideally, even moving the patient at all) needs be done by someone who is trained. But spinal immobilization and neck and back injuries should be something covered in the lifeguard training. Frankly, a well trained lifeguard may be better trained at immobilizing someone in the water and removing them from the pool than an EMT who typically only deals with people on dry land.

But spinal immobilization and neck and back injuries should be something covered in the lifeguard training
It’s ‘covered’ but once the person is out of the water if need be, I wouldn’t trust someone who never needed their basic training before. The EMTs generally use 2 or more people to transfer patients and it’s something they have done many times for real, not just occasional practice.

my $.02. :cheers:

It’s ‘covered’ but once the person is out of the water if need be, I wouldn’t trust someone who never needed their basic training before. The EMTs generally use 2 or more people to transfer patients and it’s something they have done many times for real, not just occasional practice.

my $.02. :cheers:

Yeah, I totally agree. If the person is out of the water, or even in the water but not in immediate danger of drowning or anything then it absolutely makes sense to wait for the paramedics. On the other hand if someone is in immediate danger then I would be glad for whatever training the lifeguard had to get them out of immediate danger safely and without potentially doing any further damage.

On the other hand if someone is in immediate danger then I would be glad for whatever training the lifeguard had to get them out of immediate danger safely and without potentially doing any further damage.
I could not agree more. Also, if the lifeguard was a paid career person like some areas have, Baywatch style....I’d be all for it. They are just as experienced as a paramedic. Some kid that lifeguards on weekends for beer money isn’t the same thing.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.