safety cover - would you accept this fix?

abfab

Gold Supporter
Nov 12, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Two years ago I ordered a new cover. I don't know who manufactured the original. I ordered through my pool store in early summer and my cover was sent to the manufacturer so it could be laser cut. It didn't arrive until November right before a snow fall! When installed I noticed that straps were missing at one end, an additional strap was added that I wasn't told about and it didn't sit flat in one section at the other end. They told me that the bulge was just a tension adjustment issue but they would add the missing straps. Given the winter weather and the fact that it would have to be sent back (with all the springs removed) I didn't spend time tweaking the tension.

When I closed the pool this year I noticed that they added the missing straps. To my surprise they also added a new strap to address the gap issue which they didn't notify me or the pool store about. Do you think this is an acceptable solution? Aside from the fact that I have to add an anchor that wasn't previously required, I am concerned that I will still end up with two small gaps and that it could eventually cause a tear since this is the only strap that doesn't run end-to-end.

The company said the laser cutting was correct. When I compare this cover against my old one I can see a difference in strap placement. Is that normal? I want to make sure that my expectations are realistic as I've never replaced a cover before.

Attachments

• 20211108_081756.jpg
    20211108_081756.jpg
    414.2 KB · Views: 58
My buckles started off closer to the middle but as the cover stretched and i tightened it a few times. They ended up at the springs like yours. You may need to redo them at some point, but for now it should be ok. You can glance at the springs to see if it’s right. The springs should be about half compressed, enough to hold tension but not be bottomed out with no give. :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yeah. Most will end up there after a couple season of tightening. With your new cover it will stretch more and you don’t have any room to tighten it as it is. On the plus side, if it needs fixing mid season, you really only need to do one side (cuz it will be COLD) when you’re doing it. The cover will be a couple inches off center but no biggie. Fix them all in the spring when it’s nice out. Errr. Completely forget and have to do it next fall. :ROFLMAO:

The strap should be such that the amount that you can extend or shorten the strap is roughly equal.

In this example, the spring is too close to the buckle, which creates a cutting force that will create excessive stress in the strap.

1636562377220.png

Reactions: Newdude
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.