safety cover price

ffly

Jun 18, 2010
Hi,
I am shopping for a new safety cover of solid material for my in-ground 20x40 pool with center stairs. One store with seemly better reputation quoted $3800 for a Latham. Another store quoted $2800 for LoopLoc. I don't understand how their quotes can be so different. The 2nd store hasn't sent someone to do the actual measurement. Don't think that would make a difference. I'd like to go with the first store for the better reputation, but can't justify the 1k price difference. What's your opinion? Is Latham that better than LoopLoc? Thx

Loop-Loc and other manufacturers have a catalog of Standard premade covers.

If a Premade standard cover will fit, it will be a lower cost than a custom cover.

Ask if the covers are being quoted as custom or premade standard.

Is this a replacement cover or a brand new install?

Does the price include installation?

Do you have a picture of the pool?

Does the pool have any special features that will require cutouts or special treatments like a wall or fountain?

What is the deck situation?

Our cover, a Katch-a-Leaf, isn’t a safety cover - only for catching leaves and such. They make a safety cover - Katch-a-Kid. As a point of price comparison, ours cost around $2k 15 years ago. It is custom-fitted. Assuming the quotes you are getting include custom fitting and installation, I think even the upper end of the pricing is pretty good, especially since it is a safety net. As I look out at our pool covered in leaves, I am SO glad that we have the cover!

1635265622276.jpeg

I have an old safety cover. So the anchors are already installed. Some kind of customization is needed to make the new cover fit to the existing anchors. But no installation is needed. The 2nd quote includes such. They just haven't had people out to do the measurement yet. The pool has no special feature.

Some kind of customization is needed to make the new cover fit to the existing anchors. But no installation is needed.
If you go with the same manufacturer, they might be able to give you the exact same cover.

If not, you need to "AB" measure the cover AND anchors so that a new cover will line up and you won't have to drill all new anchors.

You will probably need to drill some new anchors as a remake will almost never exactly line up.

OK. that makes sense. I will clarify first. I just can't imagine that big a difference in price between Latham and LoopLoc. I can't see any print or tag on my old cover. It's pretty old. Thanks!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Do you have a close up picture of the cover webbing?

Does the old cover fit correctly or do you want any changes?

If the fit is good, you can send the old cover back to have them try to match the old cover as closely as possible.

Also, verify the material.

Make sure they are quoting the correct material (mesh, dense mesh, solid etc.).

Do you want a drain panel or no drain panel?

I asked for no drain panel. Both Latham and LoopLoc seem to have only option for solid safety cover, material wise. The old cover fit well. I just don't know who the manufacturer was. Where usually is this marked?

Both Latham and LoopLoc seem to have only option for solid safety cover, material wise.
1635280590013.png

Where usually is this marked?
Looploc has their name in the webbing.

aqua-xtreme-navy.jpg

There is usually a tag somewhere.

Do you have pictures of the cover?

I understand they have mesh vs solid covers. I should say both LoopLoc and Latham seem to have only one option for solid safety cover. I don't have a picture of my old cover. It's a mesh one with quite a few holes. At this point, I might have to put it on to stop all the leaves as best as it can. Which part of the cover should I take a picture of? What would you be looking for?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.