Safety cover install - 3/4" diamond bit

TritonPoolMGMT

In The Industry
Sep 15, 2015
Brantford
Hello,

I installed a pool this fall. Looking to install the safety cover. I currently have a 3/4" carbide bit and Bosch rotary hammer. Have installed covers in past with carbide with good results but was looking to get better result with a diamond bit. Problem is I can't find one. Anyone installed cover anchors with a diamond bit and where did you get it?

If you are going into regular concrete I would suggest a hammer drill and masonry bit. Depending how many holes perhaps get 2 or 3 bits.

There are no diamond hammerdrill bits.

The diamond bits are core drill hole saws.

Core drilling is appropriate for certain types of decks where a hammerdrill would cause chips, cracks or other damage.

Tile, stone etc will usually be better off with a core drill.

Diamond core drilling is significantly more expensive and time consuming than a regular hammerdrill.

If a customer has a deck where core drilling is appropriate, advise them of the additional costs.

Installing a cover using a core drill can be twice as expensive as a regular install.

Check your local industrial rental shop. I have rented some very nice hand held coring machines for a very reasonable rate. I would think if we're any type of paver then a nice 3/4 core would be the way to go..

I think a core drill is a bit overkill for the holes needed for cover anchors. With a standard hammer drill and a new bit it's like 30 seconds a hole.

Reactions: 1Sammy
A hammerdrill can damage certain surfaces.

For most surfaces, a hammerdrill is fine.

However, there are times when a coredrill is a good choice.

Last edited:
FWIW - this was my own pool so was trying hard to keep the construction process and final result "near perfect'. It was also an opportunity to practice using a different installation technique. That said, I could not find anywhere that would rent me a core drill. Ghost town. So I installed with hammer drill and live with the small chips around some of the anchors.

Using a 4 way X bit is better than a two way bit.

A lot of chips happen when hammering the anchor into the hole where the ridges of the brass anchor impact the concrete. Beveling the edges of the concrete can help reduce chips. Slightly sanding down the brass ridges can also help reduce chipping. Just don't sand the brass down so much that the anchor ends up loose.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
FWIW - this was my own pool so was trying hard to keep the construction process and final result "near perfect'. It was also an opportunity to practice using a different installation technique. That said, I could not find anywhere that would rent me a core drill. Ghost town. So I installed with hammer drill and live with the small chips around some of the anchors.

You can get escutcheons for the anchors.

Using a 4 way X bit is better than a two way bit.

A lot of chips happen when hammering the anchor into the hole where the ridges of the brass anchor impact the concrete. Beveling the edges of the concrete can help reduce chips. Slightly sanding down the brass ridges can also help reduce chipping. Just don't sand the brass down so much that the anchor ends up loose.

Well that's some great info - thanks. I am going to look for a cross bit next time I am at a hardware store. Have considered sanding the ridge on an anchor to prevent chipping when tamping them. What do you bevel the concrete with?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.