Safety cover install - 3/4" diamond bit

TritonPoolMGMT

In The Industry
Sep 15, 2015
Brantford
Hello,

I installed a pool this fall. Looking to install the safety cover. I currently have a 3/4" carbide bit and Bosch rotary hammer. Have installed covers in past with carbide with good results but was looking to get better result with a diamond bit. Problem is I can't find one. Anyone installed cover anchors with a diamond bit and where did you get it?

PoolGate

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Jun 7, 2017
Damascus, MD
If you are going into regular concrete I would suggest a hammer drill and masonry bit. Depending how many holes perhaps get 2 or 3 bits.

JamesW

TFP Expert
Mar 2, 2011
There are no diamond hammerdrill bits.

The diamond bits are core drill hole saws.

Core drilling is appropriate for certain types of decks where a hammerdrill would cause chips, cracks or other damage.

Tile, stone etc will usually be better off with a core drill.

Diamond core drilling is significantly more expensive and time consuming than a regular hammerdrill.

If a customer has a deck where core drilling is appropriate, advise them of the additional costs.

Installing a cover using a core drill can be twice as expensive as a regular install.

1Sammy

In The Industry
Jul 20, 2017
Windsor, Ontario. Canada
That carbide bit should not be a problem. Is the drill a huge two handed one with real power and not a one handed with a added handle. 3/4" in 4" of concrete and i pop through very fast. Seconds just to get to the depth for the cover inserts.

Rich D

Bronze Supporter
Aug 3, 2018
MA
Check your local industrial rental shop. I have rented some very nice hand held coring machines for a very reasonable rate. I would think if we're any type of paver then a nice 3/4 core would be the way to go..

PoolGate

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Jun 7, 2017
Damascus, MD
I think a core drill is a bit overkill for the holes needed for cover anchors. With a standard hammer drill and a new bit it's like 30 seconds a hole.

Reactions: 1Sammy

JamesW

TFP Expert
Mar 2, 2011
A hammerdrill can damage certain surfaces.

For most surfaces, a hammerdrill is fine.

However, there are times when a coredrill is a good choice.

Last edited: