Safety Cover Anchors with spiral/auger-bit type shaft

Sep 25, 2013
Was looking for safety cover anchors with a spiral bit/auger-bit style shaft that rotated into the ground and helped prevent the anchors from pulling up in soil. I know I saw some of these online last year when I was looking, but can no longer find them doing a Google search. Can't remember which cover manufacturer it was that offered them, but can't seem to find them now. I know most mfg's offer the 18" anchor tubes, and some have the long lawn spike "X"-style shaft, but in theory, these can both pull out of the ground easily. The spiral shaft would provide excellent retention and prevent the anchors from pulling "upward". Does anyone know who made these, or where to find them? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
Ken

Hey Kendall !! Were you planning on going with an oversized cover to not have to drill i to the patio/coping ? (Yours is kinda borh, hard to tell which ine it is considered). Anywho you have plenty of room for drilled anchors into the patio and the patio would eat all the sideways force that the cover applies. Mine for example pull right out if I yank on them but the patio never pulls them upward like I can.

If you were planning on using the soil with an oversized cover, the screw style ones won't do nearly as good of a job as the tube style ones that get drilled. The soil ones are an easier self install with more headaches down the road and not worth whatever they are saving you in install costs.

For my parent's in-ground pool actually. Brick/paver deck around entire pool. Anchors installed at corners where 4 bricks meet. Bricks have moved slightly over time, top of anchor tubes start drifting toward pool edge, and cover straps start pulling up on the anchor tubes. When I saw the spiral-type anchors before, thought they'd be the perfect solution to keep anchors straighter over time, and MUCH less likely to pull upward. I saw these for years. . . now can't find them. Don't know who made them, or if they are still available.

My pool already has std. drilled anchors in a concrete deck. All set with MY pool/safety cover. It's my parent's paver deck giving us trouble. I saw those auger-type anchor tubes for YEARS, now don't see them anywhere. Hoping someone knows where to find them or who made them, or what they are "officially" called.

Reactions: Newdude
I don't think that any cover maker ever made screw or auger type anchors.

The pipe method should work for a paver deck as long as the pavers are set correctly.

The springs should pull horizontally and not vertically.

Do you have some pictures of the deck and the anchors in question?

I know. . . the anchors theoretically shouldn't move, but bricks have shifted in toward the pool. Granted, they need to be reset and a filler strip of brick installed to take up the spacing and make them secure again. However, the lateral forces of the straps caused them to move and the anchors to pull up a bit in multiple locations. I know I saw anchors like this last year and even a few years back. Just never printed anything out, nor can I remember who was offering them. Was hoping someone else remembered who it might be. Just figured if I could find this style anchor, it would solve the issue for now, until we redo/reset the pavers.

I stumbled across the americanearthenanchors site also - thank you for that. The ones with the top studs might do the trick. However, was hoping for "real" safety cover brass anchors. I know they existed as recent as last Fall 2019. . . . I just don't know how they disappeared completely from Google image/topical search!

I'm pretty sure that there never were any cover anchors that screwed in.

Maybe dig up the 4 bricks around the tube anchor and dig down about 8 to 12 inches and put in concrete mix so that the bricks are secured to a pillar of concrete.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.