SARASOTA, Fl
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-9)
This will be my first winter with a heat pump installed. Currently I am letting my VS pump run 24/7. It runs at about 900 rpm 21 hours to let the SWG do it's thing and then from 11-2 it ramps up to 2200 which will kick the heat pump on. I usually will take the cover off and let my robot run and get some skimming action least 3-4 times a week during this time.

During the summer, the 3 hours of run time was enough to keep the pool around 85-87 and didn't even need the full 3 hours. Now with cooler temps, water temp is dropping to 78-80 overnight so in that 3 hour window it's lucky to hit 83-84. My questions are...

1. Anyone run their heat pump year round?
a. If so, what temp you try to aim for?
b. Do you run the heat pump as long as it needs to maintain that temp or what type schedule do you use?
c. What kind of run times are you seeing?
2. If not running year round, do you occasionally kick on through winter when we have a warmer stretch?

I am trying to find that balance between pool usage, being budget conscious, and practicality, so would love to hear some insight.

We pretty much give up on our pool starting in November. We do use the spa a lot and we heat it with propane.

Now your pool is a little smaller and the heat pump is cheaper to run so its really up to you and how much you want to spend.

We pretty much give up on our pool starting in November. We do use the spa a lot and we heat it with propane.

Now your pool is a little smaller and the heat pump is cheaper to run so its really up to you and how much you want to spend.
If we got a lot of use .... would be Ok with the expense but doubt we will. It's going to be back in the 80's for a bit so will let it go for this week and just keep an eye on the next front.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.