Rusty well water and TFP first timer.

Jun 24, 2016
Central IL
Moved to this place a year and a half ago. Had the pool store helping me out a lot last year as I felt overwhelmed with just ownership. I am trying to cut dependency on them now, as I know I can save money. I am a science teacher, for pete's sake, but I am still nervous.
We installed a new liner this last week and filled the pool. The pool has some serious metal- orange black- going on. Pool is full, pump is on and I am waiting on delivery of the TF-100XL w/speed stir and intend a good SLAM. Current pH is 7.6-7.8ish, no chlorine or FC.

Any suggestions for removal of this rust? When the pool guys came to finish some of the vinyl install, they suggest 'Metal Magic'. I have attempted a wicking of sorts which had some success, but it is slow and not complete, from my observations. What do y'all think? I am worried I will get rust stains again on my newly cleaned stairs or mess with my new liner before I even get to see it's full beauty. What advice and encouragement do you have for me?

have you tested your well water? eventually you will need make up water to replenish your pool, so this will be an ongoing problem for as long as you live there. I deal with manganese which is similar to iron, I put a softener on my well and it dropped my Mn content to .1ppm.

when I filled, the pool was crystal clear until I added chlorine, it oxidized, fell out of solution and my water turned to blaaaaahhh. but since I had very little (.1ppm) content, my filter cleaned it up in a day, aided by a trick I learned on here. I cut up an old pillow, and using the poly micron stuffing, I stuffed it into the skimmer basket, and left my pump on for a full day, within hours it was picking up the Mn.

IMO, you need to order an Fe test kit, if you don't know where your base point is, how do you fix the problem? look in my post history at my pool build thread...kimkats and swampwoman helped me figure mine out, she fought the same battle and recommended filtering on a separate system, and running all your pool water thru filters esp designed for metals.

again, IMO, the lower your starting point for metal content, the more manageable it is in the pool. there are some over the counter metal sequestration products, but why not remove the metal and not deal with it at all? a sequestrant will have to be added, supplemented....I just didn't want to mess with it.

I did A LOT of research before filling my pool, it's out there, just decide what course of action you want to take

good luck and hope this helps. PM swampwoman, she's super knowledge and happy to help

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.