Rusting / Rot in Base of RayPak Heater

Jul 25, 2012
Basking Ridge, NJ
Hi all,

I hope this post finds you all well! My newest issue is one that has been building for some time now but has finally reached a point where something needs to be done and I need to decide which course of action to take.

The base of my RayPak P-R406A Pool and Spa heater has been rusting for a couple of years now from condensate and our natural humidity levels here in NJ and it has finally gotten to the point where there is a small hole in the bottom of it. See photo below.

My plan is to purchase some sheet metal and make a rectangular patch which would simply go right over it and be secured with screws around the sides.

I decided I might as well see what my local pool company had to say about it and their response, of course, was that "we used to patch holes like these with sheet metal but no one does that anymore because of the fire risk as some animals might find their way around it and make a nest." They then proceeded to give me a quote which included: The following
  • $3,350.00 RayPak P-R406A-EPC
  • $110.00 Heater Slab (If Needed)
  • $100.00 Check Valve
  • $595.00 Installation/Removal

After taxes and not including permits or any new plumbing if needed the total would be $4,430.27

The heater is 10 years old and is in perfect working condition so I wanted to see if anyone had any additional thoughts or things I should consider before going ahead and repairing this one myself.

Thanks as always,

Patrick

Attachments

• 20180601_131002.jpg
    20180601_131002.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 70
I don’t have any experience with patching up the rusted heater but is sounds like you had a decent plan which was verified by the way the pool company used to handle the situation.

A meteor could crash through the building I am sitting in right now and crush me. Odds are that it won’t....but it could.

I wouldn't repair that as it is a liability for my company. Could you fix it like you say, sure. The new ones use a stainless steel bottom plate so this happens less. In a 10 year old heater I would expect to see this. Especially with the elements of being outside and all.

So you can fix it yourself but just be aware of the liability of doing so. Ask yourself, if I patch this and something happens and the heater catches my home on fire, will my insurance company cover the damages? Just a question I would ask myself.

I do the screwdriver test. I place the tip of a screwdriver on the floor, and if i can push it through the floor of the heater, its done. I show that to the customer and let him know that the burner tray is not far behind. True, the gas line will hold up the whole burner assembly, but do you really want that?

I do the screwdriver test. I place the tip of a screwdriver on the floor, and if i can push it through the floor of the heater, its done. I show that to the customer and let him know that the burner tray is not far behind. True, the gas line will hold up the whole burner assembly, but do you really want that?

I do the same exact thing. Once the bottom is breached like that, it's ripe for a fire hazard. At that point I red tag it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.