rusted out spot on side wall

Apr 4, 2009
Central Jersey
Hello all,
I have an 18x33 oval pool. Partly sunk in about 2 feet. Pool is 9 years old. I had a leak in the liner last year which led to rust on the side wall. When the liner was replaced, they put foam between the wall and the liner to cushion, I guess. Now the rust has worn all the way through and I can see the foam bulging through. Is is possible that this section could be repaired or maybe reinforced? Does the whole pool need replacing? Taking it out altogether would probably cost a lot due to the 2 foot deep foot print that would need to be filled.
Thanks for any advise

Fixing and reinforcing would involve removing / pulling the liner away from the wall. Then sand the rust down and coating with a primer / rust inhibitor. While you were in there, it would be a good idea to inspect other areas to be sure they didn't need attention. For the spot with the hole, you could cover with piece of sheet metal and tape the edges so it didn't cut the liner. then install the liner and refill. If the liner is more than a few years old, it would likely need to be replaced also.

I don’t think adding the foam did your wall any favors... may have trapped moisture and encouraged rusting.

Got any pics ?? Do you have legs and a normal flimsy wall or is it the crazy thick one with ridges that reinforces itself ?

It's not going to get fixed correctly without draining the pool and removing the liner. The liner is relatively new, so is probably worth saving. You would need to keep it wet - stored in a large tub of water - while the work is being done. you -might- be able to drain the pool down below the hole in the wall and only partially remove the liner - remove enough to get access to the hole. I would cover the hole with sheet metal and rivet the sheet metal to the wall. Work from the inside and put the sheet metal on the inside. The flat rivet heads should also be on the inside. Paint the sheet metal with a rust inhibitor and galvanizing spray before you put it on. Also paint the rusted area with a rust inhibitor. Then tape over all the rivets and the seam.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.