Rusted Intex Frame

Thx. I thought I'd have to leave it up all year -- not an option for me. I just have to hope for no rust issues. We are putting up the rectangle today, which is only year two on this particular pool. Still putting down the foam, so haven't seen how the poles and liners did over winter. Boy do I dislike the "put up" and "take down" weekends, but the kids' smiles make it worth it.

Thx. I thought I'd have to leave it up all year -- not an option for me. I just have to hope for no rust issues. We are putting up the rectangle today, which is only year two on this particular pool. Still putting down the foam, so haven't seen how the poles and liners did over winter. Boy do I dislike the "put up" and "take down" weekends, but the kids' smiles make it worth it.

crek31 I think you cannot put up and take down every year because the standard overlap pool liner really stretches so much that it cannot resume is original form and wouldn't hold up if what I've read in the forums is true. but I was so fed up with intex that I was about to purchase a AGP until I decided to attempt this regular pool liner replacement which has saved me the price of another pool which would have been my 4th pool in 5 years. but with pool starting its 4th season and no problems so far it may last me for hopefully quite a few years:D

Great pools for the cost. Though the pump that comes with it is under par. I have the 15' model. Have upgraded the pump. I also have many years of experience with powder coated materials. The most unfortunate part is when you scratch through the coating to the metal. Rust is on the way. The frame work with these pools are designed to be slip inserts. Meaning you are putting metal to metal. Or, making this easy to understand. Inserting the powder coated item into a rigid metal insert. And there begins the slow deterioration of your pools frame work. Maybe some faster then others depending on the environment you live in. But, nonetheless, rust is inevitable. A tad bit of a design flaw. Maybe some type of sleeve for the inserts should have been thrown in to the design mix. Sad. I now am on my second one of these pools. Will look for a better designed pool for my third. Just food for thought.

Silicone tape on the joints
5f1ff2dfbf5bc6c08e703b5eea9d4aac.jpg

I had some left over so put one wrap around the feet
b43cd61118786a4d9d068f6f118c787c.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I had the exact same issue and had to take the pool down out of fear of it falling down. Im about to put up a new intex ultra frame, what can i do to prep the new pieces before the install to ensure they will be more rust free than the last pool

Serious rust issue the op has! Maybe levels were off somewhere? Not sure if I can post this here but I have (or had) a intex 22x52 until 4 of the legs were broken by falling tree! I have several parts such as legs, t-joints and cross rails, as well as a new unopened 2500gph pump if any one needs parts please email me.

I'm having the same issue after 2 seasons of use. I remember when I pulled everything out of the box & thought how flimsy the poles felt compared to the regular Intex metal frame pool...The Ultra was supposed to be more durable; our original metal frame pool lasted 8 years. I wish I would've thought to spray them with rust preventative primer & caulk around the base. Honestly, I think they did this intentionally so we'll buy replacement parts or new one every few years.

My pool did the same thing. It's not defective pipe. It's simply the effects of salt water on the metal. I feel Intex is at fault for not warning people against using the salt water system with these AGPs. I replaced the pool and use liquid chlorine and thus far, after three years, have not seen any signs of rusted pipes. Yes, the salt water system is nice/convenient but it, in my opinion, should NEVER be used with AGPs that have metal supports.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.