IL_WS

Sep 18, 2012
IL, NW of Chicago
While opening my pool, I noticed two of my panels are showing rust near the bottom rail. The pictures are of two different posts. The position is where the grade of earth is farthest from the pool, so there should be absolutely no standing water. I have an 18" rock border between grass and the pool wall.

I've read and understand that it's worse on the inside than is cuisine from the outside. It's there anything I can do from the outside to allow down the rust process? My liner seems fine, and I had no plans on pulling it out.

Attachments

• 20190518_122449.jpg
    20190518_122449.jpg
    595.8 KB · Views: 47
  • 20190518_122457.jpg
    20190518_122457.jpg
    659.6 KB · Views: 45
What you said about the inside of the wall is spot on. Rust near the bottom track is typically one of the first areas to rust on metal sided above grounds, it’s quite common.

It could be do to condensation, repeated rain exposure, or just moisture from the ground. I would start with some high quality rustoleum spray. Just coat it in an even amount. Keep an eye on it over the season, and ensure it isn’t spreading upwards.

@afreil had a similar issue with rust...

What you said about the inside of the wall is spot on. Rust near the bottom track is typically one of the first areas to rust on metal sided above grounds, it’s quite common.

It could be do to condensation, repeated rain exposure, or just moisture from the ground. I would start with some high quality rustoleum spray. Just coat it in an even amount. Keep an eye on it over the season, and ensure it isn’t spreading upwards.

That's what I was thinking. This part of the pool is out of sight of the patio, so my wife won't mind the mismatch of pattern between the factory pebble style (with grass clippings splattered over it) and the rustoleum.

@afreil had a similar issue with rust...

Thanks for the link. I somehow missed that one on my search. It seems like their rust is much worse than mine (bigger area, bubbling metal), but from a known source. Anything I saw about repairing was pretty extensive in terms of replacing the entire panel, or patching from top to bottom of panel for mechanical integrity if the rust had created actual holes.

This paint apparently has a rust transformer. You'll still have to topcoat...

This paint apparently has a rust transformer. You'll still have to topcoat...

I finally got back to this project. I treated it as no rush since it wasn't growing through the swim season. I went the entire way around the pool and pulled the landscaping rock back to expose the bottom track. The rust was present in all places (except stainless panel) where installer or I had pushed dirt up above the bottom track. In a few places, it had expanded to be above the dirt and even slightly above the rock.

After scraping back the dirt / mud, I power washed the area to get it as clean as I could. It should be dry by Monday and I'll spray it then.

Does the rust reformer require a topcoat for longevity, or is that just for desired finish? If I don't hear before getting the can later tonight, I'll just read

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.