Rust Treatment

Jan 11, 2011
Kansas City, MO
We are starting to get some rust on our pool. The spot below was from a liner leak which has been patched:
IMG_20200429_113034.jpg

We are also starting to get some rust along the bottom in some sections:
IMG_20200429_113021.jpg

So my question is how should I handle this. We don't need a new liner yet (hopefully) so am just planning on treating the exterior surface. Should I just sand and repaint with rustoleum? Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_20200429_113034.jpg
    IMG_20200429_113034.jpg
    547.2 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_20200429_113021.jpg
    IMG_20200429_113021.jpg
    560.2 KB · Views: 30
That's a shame. Unfortunately, rust is like an iceberg. What you see on the surface may be much different that what's happening underneath. The best way to know how bad it is would be to get behind that liner and look - at least for the small circular spot. You might have a small area that you can sand or cut-out and patch with fresh metal to prevent the rusted area from getting worse. But treating only the outside is nothing more than cosmetic I'm afraid. As for the bottom rail/base area, I'm not so sure you can do much with that at all to be honest. But @zea3 has had some personal experiences with her previous AGP, so maybe she can help a bit more.

Hi, let me share my tale of woe. You can read about my pool in the link in my signature RIP rusty Vogue 21' pool. Pat is right, you will have more rust on the inside of the pool than the outside that you can see. It looks like the rust is a bubbly, crusty spot, so it may already be rusted all the way through in that location. The long term fix is to drain the pool, pull back the liner and re-enforce the rusted through area with good metal. If the rust on the bottom is crumbly the only fix is to replace the wall. You can't patch the metal that far down. Here is a link for repairing a rusty pool.
How old is your pool?

Reactions: Texas Splash
I have rust around my skimmer due to a leak. This is what the inside of my pool looks like. I removed the liner yesterday. I have no exterior rust on my pool walls, minus the skimmer/return area. I'll be allowing the pool wall to dry and hitting it with a wire brush and then rustoleum spray paint.

Attachments

• 20200429_175347.jpg
    20200429_175347.jpg
    488.8 KB · Views: 39
  • 20200429_172853.jpg
    20200429_172853.jpg
    441.3 KB · Views: 38
  • 20200429_172839.jpg
    20200429_172839.jpg
    487.5 KB · Views: 33
It will be next to impossible to move the liner out of the way while the pool has water in it. Water is heavy and it seeks level. Even if you managed to only drain half and pull the liner back it would be constantly pushing back against you and it would put a lot of stress on your liner, if it holds at all.

We had to fix a very bad rust problem. So I know your pain. :eek:
I second and third everything everyone else has said. That rust hole on the outside is a much bigger rust area on the inside.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So do I have to totally empty the pool to fix the higher small rust spot? I have a J type (not overlap) liner if that matters.
You do not want the liner in the pool because you will have shards of rust debris behind the liner that could damage the liner. The best thing to do is remove the liner completely and repair the rust and install a new liner.

Thanks all for the responses. So it sounds like I have the following options:

1. Remove the liner, fix the rust, and get a new liner (looks like they are $350ish).
2. Ignore the issues and plan on getting a new pool in a year or two.

What I am contemplating is whether it makes more sense to just ignore it and plan on a new pool, or sink the extra work and money in to fix when it's already starting to rust around the bottom on a number of panels.

For me, fixing the rust is the viable option. It's a lot of elbow grease but I'm not afraid to get into it n f I can get another 7+ years out of it, I'm going to n then drop an inground into the yard n turn the garage into a pavilion.

You wont really know what you are dealing with until you look at the inside walls. How old is the current liner? If its in decent shape you can re use it by patching over the skimmer and return openings, turning the liner so the patches are supported by pool wall, and cutting new openings for the return and skimmer.

They'll never pay on a 9 year old pool. My pool is 7 years old n was only rusted at the skimmer. At least that's what I thought.

Doughboy liners are good, also expensive. Sorry I can't be of any help on liner and don't know about what else is out there. We needed a Doughboy stretchable liner because we have a deep end and that is how you have to install the liner to make it fit.

It depends on how well they treat the bare metal at the factory. One missed spot or nick leaves an opening for rust to start. Also you have to keep water away from the base of the pool. As far as waranties go, if you mailed in all your documentation they may agree to send you a new wall, but you will have to pay shipping from where ever their warehouse is. My sister had the same pool I had, hers was only 5 yrs old when it gave way. She had mailed in everything when she bought the pool, so they agreed to replace the wall, bottom rails, and most of the uprights. The shipping cost was more than the original pool and she would have had to buy a new liner, and installation. They decided it was cheaper to get another pool and said, no thanks!

Thanks for all the feedback. I actually just heard back from WilBar and they will send me new walls and the stainless steel skimmer panel for just shipping and handling ($430). I am definitely thinking about doing this. Couple of questions:
1. How hard is it to install the new walls? They said it is a long, continuous piece of steel. (+ the stainless steel panel). If I had a couple guys helping is this a DIY? Would I have to take down the entire frame to do this?
2. They said they are delayed at least 8 weeks once manufacturing is resumed (they are located in New York). Does anyone have any idea how this is packed? Would it come in a roll? I am just wondering if I can store it until the end of summer.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.