Rust Treatment

Yes the wall will be rolled up tight and boxed. It can be a diy job with a couple of helpers. You can watch some videos on pool installation and determine whether or not it is doable for you.

I am a perfect example, for Im going through the same thing you are going though, but my pool is only 4 1/2 yrs old. My pool is currently drained, and getting a whole new pool installed starting tomorrow. The pics you showed is exactly how mine looked, except for the bottom railing. This past weekend I cut a section of the liner to see how bad it was, and it's bad. Ill take pics tonight, and post tomorrow before the old pool goes down. When you see whats behind the liner will shock you. My whole pool is a total loss, but was able to get Doughboy to prorate some of the cost on warranty, but still costing me $4500 for new pool and install. I was able to stick my finger through one of the holes, for the section of wall is so brittle. Im hoping with this new install I get years and years of joy, but if I get same problem again, ill be done..lol...

Reactions: pmsmith2032
Thanks for all the feedback. I actually just heard back from WilBar and they will send me new walls and the stainless steel skimmer panel for just shipping and handling ($430). I am definitely thinking about doing this. Couple of questions:
1. How hard is it to install the new walls? They said it is a long, continuous piece of steel. (+ the stainless steel panel). If I had a couple guys helping is this a DIY? Would I have to take down the entire frame to do this?
2. They said they are delayed at least 8 weeks once manufacturing is resumed (they are located in New York). Does anyone have any idea how this is packed? Would it come in a roll? I am just wondering if I can store it until the end of summer.
I would definitely take them up on that if your top rails & posts are still in good shape. I have a 33’x54” pool & my walls came in 2 boxes - everything for the whole pool fit on a pallet in my garage & was there for 5 months until install. If u wait until next year they may not be so generous. Shell out the $400 now & be picking out a liner & have it all ready to go at the end of this season or the beginning of the next & just patch for now

Reactions: pmsmith2032
My installer has been doing the above the ground pools for over 30yrs, and he is shocked to see the rust damage I have on my pool. He still has customers who have the same pool they installed 20yrs ago, so dont be discouraged. Im still wondering how the whole pool got rusted, and not just in certain spots. We have a beaded liner, but the rust is consistant across the entire pool. We love our pool, and couldn't live without, so that's why im really hoping this one last a lot longer.

Reactions: denhajm
Thanks for all the responses. So looking to the future, are there any things I can do with the new pool to help it last longer? For instance, should I put a deeper layer of stone around the base of the walls (so there is no dirt/mud against them)? Is there something I can treat the walls with (I was thinking some sort of primer/paint/etc along the inside wall base)?

Also, any other changes I should consider when reinstalling? Our current pool has nothing special underneath it. Should I consider a pad? Cove? Anything else? I'm thinking comfort, maintenance, durability, etc.

Have a great day!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You want to make sure water doesn't puddle around the base of the pool. Using materials that drain well such as river rock or gravel and having the ground slope away from the base helps. You have to have a cove. It prevents the liner from shifting underneath the wall of the pool. I think a layer of any rust proofing paint would help prolong the life of the pool. I think part of the problem is condensation between the pool wall and the liner. I don't know if wall foam would help with preventing that or not but it may be worth looking into. Also check if adding rust proofing would affect your warranty.
Another solution is to avoid steel walls and go with a resin or aluminum pool. I think both materials will be more expensive and seem to be a little trickier to self install.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.