Rust Skimmer Box / Down Pool Wall

tpirovol

Jun 17, 2020
Toronto
Hi Everyone,

I just noticed rust coming down the back wall of my pool from the skimmer box. This is the first time I have seen this issue, just wondering what could this be from, I don't think the screws are rusted but the cover is on and I cannot check now. I am assuming the gasket might be messed up on the skimmer?

Thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_1481.jpeg
    IMG_1481.jpeg
    433.6 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1480.jpeg
    IMG_1480.jpeg
    328.8 KB · Views: 11
Reactions: Mdragger88
The culprit is likely the gasket. Unless you can see a crack somewhere or a cut in the vinyl. It looks like they didn’t overlap the vinyl- they just cut it the exact size of the skimmer. There should be a gasket on the inside & the outside of the pool.
If you have drained below the skimmer it’s a good time to replace the gasket & inspect/patch the liner in that area. Its not terribly hard to move the cover to get to that area.
Or u can wait until spring but remember rust never sleeps - even if your pool is taking it’s winter nap. 😴

Thanks calling around to find someone before it gets cold to fix it. IF not will fix it before we swim.

I agree rust is cancer and the sooner you get to it the better. Finding someone right now is just impossible.

It’s not terribly hard to do or expensive if you are a diy kinda person.
It looks like u have a Hayward wide mouth skimmer that takes a butterfly gasket. About $30 & a few minutes of your time since the lines are already disconnected & the water level is lowered.
There are lots of YouTube videos on how to replace one.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.