Rust or Other Discoloration?

cbass

Aug 12, 2014
Chandler/AZ
I have a A&A QuikSkim venturi skimmer. This is the pipe of the venturi section. Basically on the return there is a pipe that flows water through the skimmer and out this pipe that is installed in the pool. There is discoloration around this pipe. I am not sure if this is rebar that is rusting under the surface or not. I have smeared a lemon over it and it doesn't seem to remove the discoloration. If you look closely at it then it looks like it may be some kind of sealer around the pipe that has discolored it? Would rust stick to the sidewall of a pvc pipe in that way? Any input on if this is an issue and if I should do something about it?

47707065212_161f14546a_b.jpg

I've seen this happen a few times. I'm not sure exactly what causes it but my guess is that return line was tied to one of the pieces of rebar in the shell and the water is able to travel down the outside of the pipe directly to the rebar.

How old is the pool?

Reactions: Texas Splash
The pool was built in 1996.
So you think that is rebar rusting?
If so, then the next question is does that mean I will need to hire someone to break into the pool wall, cut out the rebar and then patch the gunite and pebble? Or is it fine to leave it alone?

It really doesn't bother me at all to be honest. I was just reading that rebar rusting is a cancer for the pool and should be fixed or else things will decline over time. If it's just asthetics and will not cause more severe damage it doesn't concern me at all. I could create a flange to cover it up and move on with my life.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.