rust-like spots in the skimmer

roomruler

Jul 5, 2019
Winnipeg
Hi guys,

Come for help once again!

My skimmer has some rust-like spots and at first, I thought there was some leaking. But then I noticed it looked like something growing.

Here is what I observed. First, it was light-yellow-ish mud-like stuff. Then it turned brown, red-ish. If I rubbed it, it spread into lots of red dust. If I left it for a long time, it left rust-like stains, which are very difficult to clean.

I assume it is some kind of algae?? Is it possible to be rust? Now I treat it as algae and try to increase the FC and brush it off frequently. But it won't go away and always grows back. Any suggestion is really appreciated!

*My pool looks good and I don't algae issues in other places.
*I have an old-school Jacuzzi skimmer and the gasket is made of cork. I am afraid the cork absorbs water and contains algae inside.

Max

Attachments

• Weixin Image_20230703204715.jpg
    Weixin Image_20230703204715.jpg
    225.4 KB · Views: 24
  • Weixin Image_20230703204724.jpg
    Weixin Image_20230703204724.jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 24
Your steel pool wall is probably rusting around the skimmer mouth cutout.

Do you think there is some leaking point? Or galvanic corrosionon?
It develops into "puffy" and "fluffy" spots and makes me confused.

Probably some seepage from the cutout seal.

I don't think it matters why.

Do you have any suggestions about what should I do next?
Should I open the faceplate and inspect it?

What are you prepared to do if you find the pool wall rusting?

Are you prepared to repair the pool wall and replace the liner?

Chances are you will never get the liner back around the skimmer mouth once the faceplate is removed.

Or just leave it for now?

Your dilemma is you can leave it for now and the pool wall will continue to rust and spread. Rust is like cancer. You may be able to save the wall now and not later. But it will cost you the liner to find out.

What are you prepared to do if you find the pool wall rusting?

Are you prepared to repair the pool wall and replace the liner?

Chances are you will never get the liner back around the skimmer mouth once the faceplate is removed.

Your dilemma is you can leave it for now and the pool wall will continue to rust and spread. Rust is like cancer. You may be able to save the wall now and not later. But it will cost you the liner to find out.
I got your point. Thanks.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.