Rust in Water

abake

Apr 5, 2017
leesburg fl
Hello everyone, I plan on filling my pool in the next couple of weeks for the first time. It is 30,000 gallons. I am on a well and I know rust is a major problem. I have a whole home filter but rust still makes it through. I know after I shock it with chlorine that it is more than likely to turn into coffee. In this situation should I just run the pump and filter constantly? I have seen a lot of videos of people taking pillow stuffing and making filters with that but I always wonder if that is a waist of time since the pool has a filter anyway. Any help is appreciated!

Depends what kind of filter you have. I would say that it is beneficial to keep that iron out of the pool filter and catch it in material that can be easily thrown away. And more places to filter it will filter it out faster.

People have had good luck precipitating the iron out and straining it with paper towels. Here's one: A Tale of Two Filters... and Ugly, Rusty Water.
CAA2FF1F-orig.jpg

Ill try the paper towel trick for sure. Ive been doing some more research and Im confused. Will shocking the water separate the iron from the water? Im seeing more stuff about adding in a metal sequestrant? But so far everything Ive seen is about just shocking and filtering.

Here in New England for a 30k pool people only use a pool water service for about $1500 and its filled in a few hours - with pure clean water.
I would expect you will kill your well, well tank etc.l running it non-stop for a couple of days.
Let alone you need a real filter to remove rust. You can buy them online and rig one up to your hose or they sell hose filters.
I use one for top off's but would never fill a pool off a well.
Just my opinion.
B

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.