Rural King "Aqua Mate" CYA - Cheap! But..

dfwnoob

Gold Supporter
Silver Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Feb 27, 2022
DFW
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
So while on vacation, I stopped by my favorite store that we don't have in Texas, Rural King. I wandered into their pool section (which I didn't even know they had) and I noticed 4 lb containers of CYA for $10. This is easily the cheapest CYA I have seen in recent memory. I picked up two of them at that price.

I got home today and I finally pulled up the MSDS, which I've added below. Looks like it's 98% CYA. As you can see, the container is only labelled as "Stabilizer", but it appears the same company sells it under various brands, and some of which call it "Stabilizer/Conditioner". That makes me wonder what the other 2% are.. There are no additional ingredients listed on the MSDS that I can see. Do you guys think this is good to use? For what it's worth, the "Clorox" brand CYA that I and many others on here use is 99% CYA according to the MSDS.

Edit: also, color me surprised they actually list a higher recommended CYA level for SWCG pools!

cya1.jpgcya2.jpg

Attachments

• CYA_MSDS.pdf
    111 KB · Views: 3
I used it when I first got a pool. It did no damage but it didn’t raise my CYA as much as it should have. My results indicated that the CYA was more like 40%-50%. So, since you have it, I’d use it but test to see where your CYA really is.

Reactions: dfwnoob
Good to know! I'll keep an eye on that whenever I get around to using this stuff. Thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.