Running Filter 24/7 = $732 electric bill :(

Our Electric company offers several different options for billing. Time of use plans and equilizer plans. Seems they have something for just about everyones lifestyle. You should give yours a call and see what they offer. I run my pool from 7pm - 3AM My power rate drops big time after 7pm and then hike right back up at noon the next day.

Mom -- I might start with 12 hours but I think I'd start with 8 and work my way up if I needed to.

I like the split sessions but it's not a mandated thing. If you have tiered electric rates you might want to run it an hour or two during the day and the rest at the low rate.

Just for quick comparison, I ran for 3 months 24/7 and my Florida Power and Light bill was at 115 to 120 per month, 4 BR house with 4 people, inside temperature at 20 C (72 F) and all motors (sprinkler, pool and cooling/heating) are either variable speed or inverters (I have quad inverters for heat/cool)

Your pump is 1,863 watts. For each hour that it runs you use 1.863 KWH. For two months your use was about 2,772 KWH's. I pay about 10 cents per KWH and so the cost of your pump at my house would be $277.20 for the two months. You can't be paying that much for electric so you have to figure this out and what else do you have, maybe a pool heat pump?

I'm sure you're watching the pressure on the filter and not allowing the pump to do too much work. Pumps get hot but you can still keep your hand on them, if you can't you may want to have it checked.

I have a two speed pump and you just have to make sure you will get enough flow for your salt cell. My pump is only on high when the solar turns it on high. I like the idea of late day or evening run of the pool pump because the chlorine levels will then be higher through the night. There are many factors but testing will help you understand the salt cell. Mine is set at 40% with the pool pump running about 6 hours a day. We don't have a big bio load on the pool though.

Now that you use more electric you may consider shopping for electric. I do and last year I paid under 10 cents per KWH delivered and for this year I'm just a bit over 10 cents. Since my house is all electric I need to watch this.

I haven't had to use the heat pump at all this summer, so that theory is out.

My electric bill for last July, with no pool, was around $500. I guess paying $200+/month for running the pool pump is to be expected...but not fun.

molarband said:
I have a 30k gallon pool also just built 2 months ago. I only run my 2 variable speed pumps from 11am-8pm. It gets full sun all day also. The only thing I check regularly is just the pH and chlorine. You might consider solar power, I have a 4.5kW 22 sharp panels on my roof which helps bring my electricity bill down to $5/month.

pool3.jpg

Sorry to hijack thread, but this pool is awesome looking, fantastic job.

You should be able to get your run time down and with it the monthly cost. Like we suggested go through that article on determining your pump run time. I wouldn't be surprised if you can get it down to 8 hours, maybe even less. At 8 hours, you're looking a 1/3 of that amount. Even if you could only get it down to 12hours, you're still looking at half that price.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
scooperhsd said:
REMEBER - the OP posted her TOTAL electric bill, not just what it took to run the pool.
She posted both, in her most recent post.
Mom-to-3-kids said:
My electric bill for last July, with no pool, was around $500. I guess paying $200+/month for running the pool pump is to be expected...but not fun.
Of course, the cost savings I was referring to would be against the additional costs added by the pool.

Mom-to-3-kids said:
.... I guess paying $200+/month for running the pool pump is to be expected....

Pretty sure you already get this, but it doesn't have to. I switched the motor of my pool pump to a two speed from a single speed, and run it anywhere from 13 hours in the summer to 4 in the winter on low. Run costs went down pretty substantially - and I don't have to look at stagnant water during the day. Frankly, if I'm home, I want to see the falls going and/or the water moving.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.