Silver Supporter
Jul 3, 2020
West Hills, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
last year I barely needed to run my SWCG at 25% for 2 hours per day and this year running it at 75% for 6 hours. So running it 9x as much to maintain the same level of chlorine.

The only difference is that last year I had a solid gray solar cover and now have a clear one to produce more heat. Could that really create that much more demand??

I have SLAMed the pool already to rule out algae.

Depends on several other factors. What’s your CYA level? If low, sunlight will deplete your chlorine much faster. You could also try the OCLT to make sure you don’t have algae consuming your chlorine.

Reactions: Skurzban
I did some quick calculations. Running 75% for 6 hours should generate 3 ppm of FC daily. That sounds about right for this time of year without a cover.

I'm no expert, but I don't believe the clear solar covers do well in blocking UV light, which degrades chlorine.

Depends on several other factors. What’s your CYA level? If low, sunlight will deplete your chlorine much faster. You could also try the OCLT to make sure you don’t have algae consuming your chlorine.
Thank you for responding. CYA is 55. And I performed an OCLT and revealed no problems. I performed a SLAM anyway.

I did some quick calculations. Running 75% for 6 hours should generate 3 ppm of FC daily. That sounds about right for this time of year without a cover.

I'm no expert, but I don't believe the clear solar covers do well in blocking UV light, which degrades chlorine.
Right. The clear solar definitely lets in the UV rays. I was just shocked that the 9x difference in SWCG demand could be due to a cover but I guess zero burn off vs high is the answer. Thank you for responding.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Every time my FC readings look like the SWG is not keeping up, the CYA is low. I keep it at 70-80ish but in the summer months I need to add some maybe every other month. Once it gets down to around 50 it wont hold FC as well. A SWG is not super complicated at the actual cell level, in that if its getting current and you have salt, it should be producing FC. I always thought there were "levels" of generating but the percent you set it to just creates start and stop cycles. Either on or off. Just like setting and AC lower doesnt make it run any harder. Additionally I can see the cloud of bubbles coming off mine when it is producing.

Reactions: Newdude
last year I barely needed to run my SWCG at 25% for 2 hours per day and this year running it at 75% for 6 hours. So running it 9x as much to maintain the same level of chlorine.

The only difference is that last year I had a solid gray solar cover and now have a clear one to produce more heat. Could that really create that much more demand??

I have SLAMed the pool already to rule out algae.
Understood about the clear cover allowing sun to burn up FC. That was a question I had about clear covers. I am equally interested in your findings about whether or not the clear cover helped generated more heat. Did it make a difference?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.