Running 2 heat sources simultaneously

aroby

Jul 26, 2011
I have a basic setup - an Intellitouch i5+3, with an Aquacal heat pump heater (wired as a gas heater) and a solar array (simply activated by a valve that turns). I would like to try and boost the heating and run both the solar array and the heater at the same time. The panel only lets me choose one heat source or a preferred heat source. Is there any way to do this? I have a valve actuator on the 3-way to the solar array - not sure if it's just as simple as manually turning that (and how would I do that?). The plumbing is capable of doing this - it runs from the filter to the array (bypassing if the valve is off), then through the heater, the chlorinator and to the pool. I'd just like the option to run both automatically.

Thanks!

I have a basic setup - an Intellitouch i5+3, with an Aquacal heat pump heater (wired as a gas heater) and a solar array (simply activated by a valve that turns). I would like to try and boost the heating and run both the solar array and the heater at the same time. The panel only lets me choose one heat source or a preferred heat source. Is there any way to do this? I have a valve actuator on the 3-way to the solar array - not sure if it's just as simple as manually turning that (and how would I do that?). The plumbing is capable of doing this - it runs from the filter to the array (bypassing if the valve is off), then through the heater, the chlorinator and to the pool. I'd just like the option to run both automatically.

Thanks!
Manually engaging the actuator position using the 3-way switch on the back is likely your only option.

You may be able to get creative and toggle them to run together everytime by manipulating your settings (having solar "on" actually bypasses it) but then you've got to keep it straight in your head and have it "running" every hour you don't want it on.

Reactions: aroby
Manually engaging the actuator position using the 3-way switch on the back is likely your only option.

I just did this and I'm getting much warmer water. It's annoying there's no way to automate this. On the controller I have 4 speeds set for the pump, so I run the solar at a higher speed than the pool. So I've had to increase the pump speed, set heating to Heater and manually switch the valve. A simple Heater+Solar option would solve all this!

I just did this and I'm getting much warmer water. It's annoying there's no way to automate this. On the controller I have 4 speeds set for the pump, so I run the solar at a higher speed than the pool. So I've had to increase the pump speed, set heating to Heater and manually switch the valve. A simple Heater+Solar option would solve all this!
Do you have other features on actuators? You could move the solar actuator to Valve A or Valve B on the board and create a feature circuit called "Solar".

Then it can be done from your app or panel, and even scheduled. It won't trigger or communicate with heat presets though. So it's just a digital way of doing what you just did manually.

You have a system designed 20+ years ago.

Upgrade to the modern IntelliCenter and I believe it will control solar and a heater the way you want.

Do you have other features on actuators? You could move the solar actuator to Valve A or Valve B on the board and create a feature circuit called "Solar".

Then it can be done from your app or panel, and even scheduled. It won't trigger or communicate with heat presets though. So it's just a digital way of doing what you just did manually.
I will look at that. Valve A is hardcoded to Solar, so I would have to move the actuator to Valve B. I'm not familiar with feature circuits, so will have to do some digging.

You have a system designed 20+ years ago.

Upgrade to the modern IntelliCenter and I believe it will control solar and a heater the way you want.
This system is only 8 years old! It would be preferable to just be able to control everything independently and then put programming over the top. Too expensive to upgrade just for this small need, though.

I asked this question about a year ago (Running 2 heat sources simultaneously), and realized that I omitted to give an update.

My pool is in Florida and in the winter months I thought is would be handy to be able to run both the rooftop solar and the heater at the same time. My Intellitouch i5+3 system does not have this capability, however I use nodejs-poolController to control my pool. Working with rstrouse, the njspc developer, a rule was developed that implements this, along with a relay in the panel.

The key to the implementation is connecting into Valve B which, on my system, is not used. In the panel, I connected an inexpensive 24v DC NC/NO relay with a bridge rectifier across its inputs to the Valve B header. The relay is connected in parallel with the existing wiring to the fireman's switch that activates the heater, so existing heating functionality is not disturbed. The switch side is connected inline with one of the wires from the gas heater port on the board. This port is NC and goes NO when the heater is turned on. By connecting the relay common and NC terminals inline with one of the wires, that connection is opened when Valve B turns on and the heater activates. If solar is off, Valve B is off and the heater works as normal.

I defined two custom names, HEATBOOST and BOOSTRELAY, in the Pentair ICP and created a circuit called HEATBOOST and a feature connected to Valve B called BOOSTRELAY. In njspc, I unchecked Show as Feature for BOOSTRELAY, so I end up with a new option on the ICP called HEATBOOST.

The rule code is shown below. The vars are obtained from the poolConfig.json file created by njspc. Using the Controller > Interfaces tab, the .json file is uploaded as a binding and a new interface (heatboost) of type Rule is created and attached to the custom rule binding. Once enabled, everything works! When solar heating and HEATBOOST are on, the heater is turned on. If solar heating is off, the heater is also off unless the ICP has Solar Pref enabled or the heater is activated manually or with the spa.

Hopefully this is helpful to others!

{
"context": {
"name": "heatBoostRule",
"options": {},
"vars": {
"heatBoostFeatureId": 41,
"boostRelayFeatureId": 42,
"boostRelayCircuitId": 5
}
},
"events": [
{
"name": "temps",
"description": "Look for HeatBoost feature and act accordingly",
"processor": [
"try {",
"logger.info('temps event : Processing HeatBoost');",

"let boostRelayOn = false;",
"let feature = state.features.getItemById(vars.heatBoostFeatureId, false);",
"let relay = state.features.getItemById(vars.boostRelayFeatureId, false);",

"for (let i = 0; i < data[0].bodies.length; i++) {",
"let body = data[0].bodies;",

"if(typeof body.heatStatus !== 'undefined' && (body.heatStatus.name === 'solar' && feature.isOn)) {",
"boostRelayOn = true;",

"if(!relay.isOn) logger.info ('Solar is on, HeatBoost is on, activating ...');",
"}",
"}",

"await sys.board.circuits.setCircuitStateAsync(vars.boostRelayCircuitId, boostRelayOn);",
"} catch(err) { logger.error(`Error triggering heat boost feature ${err.message}`); }"
]
},
{
"name": "circuit",
"filter": "@bind=data.id; === @bind=vars.heatBoostFeatureId;",
"description": "Trigger the HeatBoost feature immediately",
"processor": [
"try {",
"logger.info('circuit event : Processing HeatBoost');",

"let feature = data[0];",
"let boostRelayOn = false;",

"if(feature.isOn) {",
"for(let i = 0; i < state.temps.bodies.length; i++) {",
"let body = state.temps.bodies.getItemByIndex(i).getExtended();",
"if(typeof body.heatStatus !== 'undefined' && body.heatStatus.name === 'solar') boostRelayOn = true;",
"}",
"}",

"await sys.board.circuits.setCircuitStateAsync(vars.boostRelayCircuitId, boostRelayOn);",
"} catch(err) { logger.error(`Error triggering heat boost feature ${err.message}`); }"
]
}
]
}

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.