Runaway pH

MLock

Jul 5, 2011
Indianapolis
Hey everyone, this might be a common issue, but I'm struggling to use the TFP search and only get hot tub results. I've used this forum for years to help me with my pool, but I'm a new hot tub owner and have a struggle.

When I go to bed, every night, I've worked throughout the day to get myself to:

pH: 7.5
TA: 90-100
FC: 2-3
CYA: (new tub, so I'm currently at about 10 and rising as I add dichlor)
CH: ~400

When I wake up in the morning, every reading is exactly where I left it, except:
pH: >8.2

So I add muriatic acid, get pH down, then sometimes (but not every day) have to add washing soda to get TA up over 50 because of the muriatic acid. Then I go to bed with good pH and overnight it freight trains to where the color in my Taylor kit is almost purple it's so high.

Help a newbie, please...

For my tub, I need to have my TA around 50 ppm with 50 ppm borates added to maintain a stable pH of 7.6-7.7. At this point I rarely add muriatic acid due to how stable the pH is. 35-40 is a bit on the lower end. I would at least try to be in the 40-50ppm range. Have you tried adding borates to lock the pH in? Also, its ok for your pH to be slightly higher at 7.7 or even 7.8 is fine too.

Super helpful stuff, folks. My pH is pretty stable now at 7.6. My TA is settled around 35-40. Everything I read says keep it at at least 50. Should I be wringing my hands over this?

How sure are you on the TA? If it's one drop on a drop test it could be 45-50 which is acceptable (where min likes to be when my ph gets stable).

Another tip, make sure to have all your air valves for your jets set to closed position when spa is not in use. Your spa will do cycles throughout the day and if you have your air valves open, it will cause more aeration which will rise pH faster.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.