Run RJ60+ for 24hrs @ 5-10% or 6-8hrs @ ~40%?

May 15, 2016
Damascus/MD
Hey TFP'ers!

Finally got my RJ60+ installed and running (with a slight replumb to make it all nice!). Pretty great! My final question is looks like the flow switch is sensitive enough to register flow even at very low RPMs on my VS pump. My typical pump schedule is as follows:

1200 rpm - 12hrs (overnight just to keep any critters in the skimmer) - tried dropping down to 900 rpm and it still registered flow!
3200 rpm - 4hrs (morning 'til noon to suck any small rodents/amphibians/small cats into the skimmer and run the Polaris)
2200 rpm - 7hrs (keeps skimmer sucking while we swim)

I don't mind keeping this schedule...still costs very little to run the pump and keeps most critters clear or debris off the surface. I thought the flow switch would kick off the SWG overnight (below 1400rpm) but it still keeps working - so my question is for cell life/equipment preserving...is there a better way to run the SWG? I could easily load the SWG up on a timer - it's technically on a timer now (smart switch for home automation...but it's in a constant on state...merely just measuring energy consumption)...but if it's all the same to run it 24/7 on a very low percentage, then I'm more then fine leaving as is! It looks like 10% right now either holds my FC as is or slightly increases...but we don't have any swimmers and I just opened it all up so I think that is about where it will be in full season. I just didn't know power cycling vs constant running has any effect on anything, or I'm just over thinking all of this :)

Thanks for all that helped with previous questions and my replumb!

Dave,

The SWCG does not care if it runs for 1 hour at 100% or 10 hours at 10% it will still use up the same amount of chlorine generation capability..

You only need to run the pump long enough to generate the chlorine your pool uses.. But it is your pool and you can run the pump for as long as you want. I run my pump, 24/7 for the same basic reasons that you do.. I like making a little chlorine all the time, and I like skimming all the time. It is what works best for me and I don't care if it is needed or not.. :)

I run most of the time at 1200 RPM as my flow switch shuts off at about 1100 RPM.. Running below 1000 RPM is not advised as the pump starts becoming less efficient..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.