RPMs and Pentair Intelliflo i2 Variable speed pump

The Northstar and the i2 head curves are not all that different from one another. In fact, the i2 should be slightly better. Not sure why it isn't performing as well as the old pump.

1649726607042.png

Mark,

Does it make sense to run a VS pump at full speed? What is the point of having a VS pump.

You know more about "flow" than anyone else that I know, but it just seems to me that if the OP had a real 3 HP IntelliFlo, that he would not have to run near full speed to make things work.

I know what the graphs say, but it does not make sense to me that the i2 can move as much water as the standard IntelliFlo.

Thanks,

Jim R.

The i2 moves as much as the old pump (Northstar). The Intelliflo can move a lot more water. But If you set the Intelliflo to the same flow as the i2, the power usage will be about the same.

The real issue is the IFCS, they are power hogs. But they don't need to operate all the time. Other run time can be at much lower RPM.

Reactions: Jimrahbe
The i2 moves as much as the old pump (Northstar). The Intelliflo can move a lot more water. But If you set the Intelliflo to the same flow as the i2, the power usage will be about the same.

The real issue is the IFCS, they are power hogs. But they don't need to operate all the time. Other run time can be at much lower RPM.
Thank you Sir. With my automation retrofit, I only get to set two speeds. Should I set my speed to 3450 for say 5 hours to for floor vacs to work and then set my low speed to like 750 for 5 hours. Or, should I just get the builder to install a 3hp pump.

The real issue is the IFCS, they are power hogs.
Which brand of IFCS's are power hogs? I have a (Pentair) A&A IFCS and I run my IntelliFlo pump at 2,600rpm for 90 minutes daily for cleaning. I've been using this setting since December and my pool is clean and doesn't use much power at that rpm. Now the heat pump on the other hand...

It depends on how long it takes the IFCS to clear the floor. 5 hours seems excessive. Most on the forum claim the IFCS can clear a floor in less than 2 hours. Some experimentation may be necessary.

Once you have figured out how long the IFCS needs to run, then you need to figure out how much more time is required to do other things. This could be 0 or some other value. 2 hours is plenty for just circulation but if you have a SWG, it might not be enough time.

Which brand of IFCS's are power hogs? I have a (Pentair) A&A IFCS and I run my IntelliFlo pump at 2,600rpm for 90 minutes daily for cleaning. I've been using this setting since December and my pool is clean and doesn't use much power at that rpm. Now the heat pump on the other hand...
IMHO, they all are by the simple fact they require higher RPM/energy than if you did not have one.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
IMHO, they all are by the simple fact they require higher RPM/energy than if you did not have one.
Hi Mark and Jim, thank you for your help. Ok, I just raised the programed high speed from 3100 to 3450 and the flow problem is fixed. My aerator is now a geyser again. The filter pressure is back to around 30psi. The floor vacs immediately started pushing leaves on the bottom of the pool that have been sitting there are 3100 rpm. So, what did we learn. What should I tell the pool builder. Do I have the right replacement pump for my Northstar. Thank you

Attachments

• 165CA56D-E695-4F91-A329-FE3C0FD89511_1_201_a.jpeg
    165CA56D-E695-4F91-A329-FE3C0FD89511_1_201_a.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 2
  • D726C220-315F-4BCB-B9DE-2F70AC4266FF.jpeg
    D726C220-315F-4BCB-B9DE-2F70AC4266FF.jpeg
    332.1 KB · Views: 2
  • DF21B246-530D-4295-AA8C-3A1B124285D6.jpeg
    DF21B246-530D-4295-AA8C-3A1B124285D6.jpeg
    380.7 KB · Views: 2
Reactions: bertschb
Gary,

Mark is giving you accurate technical info about the pumps and flow.. I have more of an emotional input.

A "real" IntelliFlo and an i2 IntelliFlo cost about the same thing. You are buying a 2 HP pump for the same price as the 3 HP pump. The whole reason they even sell the i2 is for people that need less flow. It appears you have two choices.. Use the i2 at full speed, or have your pool builder install a 3 HP IntelliFlo and be able to run it at less than full speed.

I have never heard an i2 running, but an IntelliFlo running at full speed is just about as loud as a single speed pump, maybe even worse.

If I were in your shoes, I would feel cheated.

That said, it is your pool and whatever works for you... works for me. :mrgreen:

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: Newdude
Gary,

Mark is giving you accurate technical info about the pumps and flow.. I have more of an emotional input.

A "real" IntelliFlo and an i2 IntelliFlo cost about the same thing. You are buying a 2 HP pump for the same price as the 3 HP pump. The whole reason they even sell the i2 is for people that need less flow. It appears you have two choices.. Use the i2 at full speed, or have your pool builder install a 3 HP IntelliFlo and be able to run it at less than full speed.

I have never heard an i2 running, but an IntelliFlo running at full speed is just about as loud as a single speed pump, maybe even worse.

That said, it is your pool and whatever works for you... works for me. :mrgreen:

Thanks,

Jim R.
Jim, I am with you. I feel cheated. I stopped payment. I will get them to do it right. Thank you

Gary,

Thanks,

Jim R.
Oh one more thing Jim and Mark what model pump should I be asking for..

Gary,

The standard IntelliFlo is an EC-01128, which is a VS, or the 011056, which is a VSF pump.

@mas985 may have some better advice. There is an "Extra Flow" XF version, but not sure it would make any difference with your 2" plumbing.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: garywi
I agree with Jim that the larger Intelliflo will be much quieter than the i2 at the same flow rate.

Also, the choice of Intelliflo might come down to what is available and at what price given the supply issues. The 26 or 56 are both good pumps and the performance is identical. The only difference is the VF function which isn't really all that useful and in most cases should not be used anyway as it can cause some issues (e.g. over driving dirty filters).

The XF has approximately the same maximum head as the regular Intelliflo but it has a much higher run out so it would be a better choice for low head loss high volume applications (e.g. waterfall). But for an IFCS, there will probably not be much difference in performance. But again, if the price is right and it is available, go for it.

I agree with Jim that the larger Intelliflo will be much quieter than the i2 at the same flow rate.

Also, the choice of Intelliflo might come down to what is available and at what price given the supply issues. The 26 or 56 are both good pumps and the performance is identical. The only difference is the VF function which isn't really all that useful and in most cases should not be used anyway as it can cause some issues (e.g. over driving dirty filters).

The XF has approximately the same maximum head as the regular Intelliflo but it has a much higher run out so it would be a better choice for low head loss high volume applications (e.g. waterfall). But for an IFCS, there will probably not be much difference in performance. But again, if the price is right and it is available, go for it.
Thanks Mark. I just made another donation to the site because of you and Jim. You guys are a great help. I don't know what XF, VF, 26, 56 is. Do you have the entire Pentair Model numbers so I can tell my vendor what I should have. Thank you Sirs

• Love

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.