Roof granules falling into pool. How to get rid?

VinEsc

May 27, 2020
California
Hi there professionals,

I'm a first time pool owner and having a lil issue with my pool. Thanks for helps :)

There are a lot granules falling from roof and get into my pool and stay at the bottom, I have a Hayward DE filter and the Grids are old and ripping off.
I'm planning to replace a new filter set (Pleatco Grids)
Will the roof granules damage and rip off the new Grids?
How to get rid of it? How to prevent? any advices and suggestions?
What should I be aware of?

Not pool related question: Is it the time to replace the roof when we see a lot of granules falling off?

Thank you very much!
Vin

I get a bunch of shingle grit in my pool, too.

I use a poolblaster catfish to vacuum them up. It takes less time than messing with the regular vacuum and I don't have to put my hands in the cold winter water. I don't get much grit n the summer, since no rain. Before the catfish, I just vacuumed it up. Never had any problem with the grids.

You'd think my roof would be bald by now, but it still looks just fine.

Reactions: VinEsc
I have this issue as well since my roof is older. It happens after rain as well. I use a brush to brush them to the middle, then use a hand / manual pool vac to suck it all up. Works well enough -- wish the granuals never got in to begin with but, hey... is what it is!

Also, I have a Pentair Quad DE 100 -- I'm guessing I'll just have a ton of granual junk at the bottom of my filter next time I clean it.

Richard - Like your quote -- "A pool is like a pet" That is so true!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.