Roof Granule clean up

Kristal

Silver Supporter
Apr 3, 2018
Midland, TX
We've had some bad storms here lately and my in ground hot tub sits directly under my gutters which got full and proceeded to pour granules in to the hot tub. It's on a separate pump and the granules are too heavy to swirl and go in the filter, I'm not even sure I want that to happen even if it would. SO, I've been brainstorming about using a wet/dry vac to suck it out. Does that sound like the dumbest idea ever? LOL!! The hot tub levels out with the pool and the pump I have for the hot tub doesn't have any drain function or anything...so I'd have to have a sump pump to drain it and I'm not interested in all that. Any one have any advice? It's really not that much, a quick hit with the vacuum should get them out.

They make hand held battery powered vacs for spas. Might be something to look in to.

You can try the wet/dry vac. Might have to dump it out quite a bit.

If pool and spa are at the same level, set up the pool vacuum and get it running. Then unplug it from the skimmer, and work real fast moving it from pool to spa. Reconnect it and vacuum the spa. I do it when I have a major load in the tub. Yes, grit from asphalt shingles. Don;t ask me how it clears the gutter, but it does.

Or

If you can move the valves around, empty the spa into the pool, then use the shop vacuum to get the grit out. Even if you have a few inches left. the shop vac will only fill up a couple times.

If pool and spa are at the same level, set up the pool vacuum and get it running. Then unplug it from the skimmer, and work real fast moving it from pool to spa. Reconnect it and vacuum the spa. I do it when I have a major load in the tub. Yes, grit from asphalt shingles. Don;t ask me how it clears the gutter, but it does.

Or

If you can move the valves around, empty the spa into the pool, then use the shop vacuum to get the grit out. Even if you have a few inches left. the shop vac will only fill up a couple times.

I'll tell ya how they got in there, cause the gutters are full of leaves haha!! I had a big ah-ha moment last night while it rained. We've had awful storms here lately and I even had my trees taken out a few months ago but the leaves must've been hanging out in secret places, plus, I haven't cleaned gutters since last summer. It's on my to-do list tonight though LOL!! To make matters worse, I just had to drain down the pool a bit last week to have a light repaired and the hot tub was pumped out to check that light too and in the haste I completely forgot to hit it with the vacuum while it was empty. I tell you when it filled up again I was very angry at myself for not remembering the granules were in there. GRRR LOL!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.