Robotic pool cleaner problem determination

I have an old Nitro / Smartpool NC71 robotic pool cleaner (Actually NC71RC with the remote control). The only good pool person here in Mexico had to quit for medical reasons so I am trying to get my old cleaner back working. The treads were obviously history so I replaced them. I followed the repair instruction manual for my cleaner and the voltages check out ok - 28-32 mine is 29.2. The cleaner does work for awhile (between 5 minutes to an hour) but then it quits moving and it sounds like a relay in the power supply is clicking on and off. Since this cleaner pauses for probably 5 or 10 seconds before switching after encountering a problem it seems to me like either the cable or the power supply has an intermittent issue. The power supply does seem to run very hot (and electronics are sensitive to failure with high heat) and it probably is an older style since it is black and not blue in color. The cable looks to be in very good shape but it is the older style without the big swivel feature.

Does anyone have a idea if the problem is the cable or the power supply and how to test it further to isolate the problem? Or is a failure after running awhile almost always the cable or the power supply?

We just had a very DIY member try to fix his robot. He spent a bit of money and a LOT of time/effort trying to fix it to only have it work for one cleaning then it was DOA. He has switched over to his pressure cleaner.

We just had a very DIY member try to fix his robot. He spent a bit of money and a LOT of time/effort trying to fix it to only have it work for one cleaning then it was DOA. He has switched over to his pressure cleaner.
I did some more testing and it is the cable but since it works for 15 minutes and my excellent pool service person just returned to doing service work my need for the robotic cleaner went down. I will use it sometimes for a minor cleaner of calcium from the SWC using the remote. For info, purchasing a cable compatible with the remote is not an option. The cable for the non-remote version is available but I do not think it will connect to my version minus the remote since it appears to be lacking the hole for the 3rd connector.

Reactions: kimkats
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.