Robot Trouble

DFWguy

LifeTime Supporter
May 3, 2015
keller
Hey guys - having some robotic pool cleaner issues and seeking some advice. Build my pool in 2015 and am on my second robot - purchased from Marina Pool and patio in May of 2020. This May, two years later, my Pentair warrior SE is not working. The wheels and bushing are apparently worn out and the machine will not work. These parts are also on backorder with no ETA. I did put some gorilla tape on the bushings and got another week out of it but now it's dead in the water again. I have been cleaning my pool with the device that connects to my water hose and telescopic pole and uses water pressure to blow things into the attached net. while it works ok, it's not great. I am at a loss. Should I consider another device to buy while I wait until these parts are available? If so, what other devices work well? I have even considered buying another robot to use to then have a backup when this one is back in order, but I hate to spend the money unnecessarily. What would you recommend?

Thanks!

Hey DFW,

Sorry you haven't seen any replies yet.

We're starting to see various forms of robotic cleaner failures after ~5 years of use. Some last longer, some less. The general consensus is going into the purchase knowing that the robot will fail within 5 years and that repairing major components after the warranty period is not worth it. Some would gladly pay the price for the having a clean pool and for the convenience robot provides.

Here's a good thread by @JoyfulNoise that takes us through his journey from robot back to suction cleaner.

Best wishes!

My bushings needed replacement after 4 seasons, not 2. But your mileage may vary depending on how much dirt and grit is in your pool. However, I’ll say this - worn bushings will not cause a robot to not move. It may cause the tracks to unseat themselves partially from the wheel but the robot will move. If the robot is not moving my guess is the motor assembly is dead or dying and it needs to be replaced. I’ve tried rebuilding mine (see Post #18 and following in that thread link above) and the best I could do is get the water pump motor rebuilt. The drive motor is not repairable and not for sale online except on eBay where it’s a bit hit & miss to find stuff.

2 years is ridiculous and I’d try to get Margaret or Seth on the phone at Marina’s and see if they can get Maytronics to do a warranty repair.

My personal opinion - I’m done with robots. Expensive toys that do a nice job cleaning but they are not built to last. So if a pool owner is okay dropping a $1,000 every few years for the latest robot flavor, so be it. I am not good with that.

Reactions: Rancho Cost-a-Lotta
My bushings needed replacement after 4 seasons, not 2. But your mileage may vary depending on how much dirt and grit is in your pool. However, I’ll say this - worn bushings will not cause a robot to not move. It may cause the tracks to unseat themselves partially from the wheel but the robot will move. If the robot is not moving my guess is the motor assembly is dead or dying and it needs to be replaced. I’ve tried rebuilding mine (see Post #18 and following in that thread link above) and the best I could do is get the water pump motor rebuilt. The drive motor is not repairable and not for sale online except on eBay where it’s a bit hit & miss to find stuff.

2 years is ridiculous and I’d try to get Margaret or Seth on the phone at Marina’s and see if they can get Maytronics to do a warranty repair.

My personal opinion - I’m done with robots. Expensive toys that do a nice job cleaning but they are not built to last. So if a pool owner is okay dropping a $1,000 every few years for the latest robot flavor, so be it. I am not good with that.
I echo your robot frustration. How is your sand shark working out? When I built my pool - I plumbed for a pressure side cleaning system. At this point - I am ready to move away from robots altogether. Admittedly nieve of me considering I have no experience with any other type of cleaning system. Considering both pressure side and suction side at this point, with suction being path of least resistance for the wallet.

I had a Sandshark before I went to a robot and my pool was built with a dedicated vacuum port on the wall. It worked well for the 4 years I used it and so there really was no need to go to a robot except to try it out. Robots can definitely clean very fine debris but, honestly, my pool was just as clean with the suction cleaner. That’s why it was easy to go back to Sandshark for me when the robot died. They cost less, they are cheaper to repair and they do just as good a job cleaning my pool as the robot did. So it was a no brainer - ditch the robot.

I have no experience with pressure side cleaners so I really can’t offer any advice there. I know there are folks on here that love them (maybe @ajw22 can offer some thoughts) and use them and that they can be easily rebuilt as-needed just like suction cleaners can. The only downside is if you need to use a booster pump with the pressure cleaner, that adds a bit of extra utility costs. My suction cleaner runs just fine at the standard pool pump speed I use for skimming and generating chlorine so adding on the suction cleaner doesn’t cost me anymore in terms of utility costs.

Pump driven cleaners use more energy than robots do BUT it’s not a huge difference and so the lifecycle costs of the robot are far higher and more damaging to the pool owners wallet.

I've never used a robot. I use a run-of-the-mill suction cleaner. It does what it's supposed to do, collect and filter dirt/sediment off the bottom of the pool . It won't scrub walls or the waterline. That job is reserved for me. It does help me to maintain an even tan though.

• Haha
Reactions: JoyfulNoise
I have 3 years with my S200, but i do preventive maintenance. I like to keep watertight the swivel with MagicLub silicon and the connection with the motor also water sealed with plenty of MagicLub. The tracks and the bottom plastics do take a beating because of my raised main drains. I have in hand all the parts needed for the tracks and rollers but not used them yet. Even a brand new cable due to multiple repairs because of the dog chewing on it.

I do have to admit i would not be caught without a robot but, as @JoyfulNoise noted, i will always try to buy the least expensive(basic model) available.

Reactions: JoyfulNoise
I have 3 years with my S200, but i do preventive maintenance. I like to keep watertight the swivel with MagicLub silicon and the connection with the motor also water sealed with plenty of MagicLub. The tracks and the bottom plastics do take a beating because of my raised main drains. I have in hand all the parts needed for the tracks and rollers but not used them yet. Even a brand new cable due to multiple repairs because of the dog chewing on it.

I do have to admit i would not be caught without a robot but, as @JoyfulNoise noted, i will always try to buy the least expensive(basic model) available.

Felipe … I suggest at some point, you take out the motor assembly and open the clamps to lube the main seal and also check for any water incursion. The drive motor for the wheels also has two clips holding the plastic flange it is mounted on in place and that can be easily opened as well to lube that o-ring. Those are going to be the two major o-rings that can possible fail.

I realize there can be some “if it ain’t broke don’t mess with it” hesitation in doing that but it’s really critical to keep water out of that motor box. Anything you can do to keep those seals lubed is to the good.

Reactions: Flying Tivo

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.