Robot pool skimmers and floor cleaners....keep the pressure-side Polaris? What about adding a skimmer bot?

iadams

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 29, 2012
Mt. Airy, MD
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-45 Plus
I did search first, but a lot of the info was a few years old on this topic, and a lot of the newer info did not apply. Especially with things like this, even one software update completely changes the conversation.

My pool was here when I bought the house, and it has a pressure side Polaris pool cleaner with booster pump. The booster pump died (after I replaced it 4 years ago) and it is expensive. Also, I'm still using the original cleaning unit (the part that wonders around putting stuff in the bag) for the 12 years I've owned this house, and it was pretty old then. I've nursed it along a lot of years making repairs and swearing at it a lot, but it DEFINITELY got the job done on the bottom.

But now that the pump is shot, again, and the cleaner itself is pretty dry-rotted and brittle, it's time to look into replacing the whole set. To be clear - I'm plumbed for a separate pressure line with pump to the cleaner.

BUT I feel like there may be better options now to spend money on. First, my skimmer is on the upwind side of the pool, and that sucks (but doesn't suck in the way that pulls leaves, bugs and pollen out of the pool). So my skimmer doesn't work great, especially because we're in a windy area at the top of a ridge.

Are the battery or electric (corded) floor cleaners better now? How about robotic/solar skimmer bots?

If I'm going to drop a few grand, I want to know if replacing what I have like for like is the right choice. I don't want some junk that will short circuit and the company won't warranty it......clearly the polaris has been a huge value over time given that it has probably lasted 20 years. And I don't expect the new tech to last that long, but I need to to last long enough to give a reasonable value.

What has your recent experience been (I don't want to hear stories about what you tried in 2019, unless it was really great and still working.....I want info mostly from the last two years).