Gold Supporter
Aug 2, 2021
Sacramento, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
We just finished digging and are about to lay out plumbing and electrical. I will be installing a pressure-side pool cleaner for now, but we are setting everything up for a robot as well, in case we decide to make a change. I'm familiar with pressure-side cleaners, but not robots. My pool is 50' long (50x16), and we are putting one electrical outlet near each end. However, if it makes more sense to have one of those outlets near the middle of the pool to support a robotic cleaner, I can still make that change.

I don't know how robots are ordered, but got the sense from my PB that the cords come in different lengths. So, I was thinking it would be easier to deal with ~30-35 feet of cord, rather than ~60 feet. If anyone is familiar with robot cleaners and can provide some guidance, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

My Dolphin cord is 60 ft. I don't think I had an option for a different cord length unless I bought a different brand. Pool code required the outlet no closer than 6ft, but the outlet is more like 10 ft away due to obstacles. Still, the robot has no issue cleaning the entire pool.

Reactions: bmoreswim
The robots in a popular series we see recommend here a have 60' cords. So that will cover a 50' pool. The diagonal will mean your length is a little more than 50', but the controller also has like 3-5' of cord also.

Having extra cord length can come in handy, as it did for me, since I like to handicap my cleaner by a few feet (wrap once around the base of the diving board) so it can't reach the far end bench that it likes to seek out for a nap.

The popular robot series I mentioned are the Dolphin S or Active series (clones).

Also think about storage placement of the robot. Will u leave it plugged in & possibly run it on a schedule? If so its “brain” (control box) is not waterproof & also needs protection from the sun. You definitely want a 60’ cable so it can reach the entire length of your pool as it needs to go to the depths of the pool as well.
I have a 50’ cable on mine and i just have a few feet to spare after it gets to the other side of my 33’ round pool.
Mine is permanently installed in a deck box near the pool to protect the control box.
Also u can never have enough outlets!

Last edited:
Reactions: bmoreswim
Also depends if you're having a auto pool cover which in that case you'd want the outlets by the shallow end so you can have it run also while the pool is covered and have the floating cable go through a gap by the coping.
bingo... there's my answer! we are doing an auto cover (although the vault is in the shallow end), so having the outlet at the deep end, where the cover stops, is what I would need. didn't even think about that. thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.