Jun 19, 2020
Cleveland OH
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
So… I recently installed a rj60+.

Opened my pool a few days ago. Added 16 bags of salt (22000 gallon). I installed it vertical, with the cord coming out the top. Flow switch is correct, etc.

I’m having some curious readings from my SWG for salinity.

When I turn it on, it stays pretty stable at 3000-4000 salinity. About 65F. The green generator light is on.

When I check on it later, the generator light is off, and salinity is reading 0. If I adjust it to 100%, or power cycle, salinity starts reading again and the light turns green.

Is this normal? Do I just need to let it sit, and even out over a few weeks?

Is this normal?
Yes. Several of the readings will be zero when it's not in an active FC generating cycle. You will also see that when it's not generating chlorine, there are no champagne-sized bubbles out of the return jets. But when it's generating, you'll see bubbles. If you hit 100%, it will of course be on all the time and you probably don't want that.

Remember that our SWGs are designed (by size) to generate x-amount of FC. That is based on SWG output setting and/or pump run time. So when you have the RJ set to a low percentage, it will cycle on/off as needed to ensure it produces the FC you asked for. As the water temp increases you will probably have a higher FC demand and need more pump run time or a higher SWG output, but for now you should be okay with a lower output. I have my RJ-45 at 30% I think and that's almost too much.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Remember that our SWGs are designed (by size) to generate x-amount of FC. That is based on SWG output setting and/or pump run time. So when you have the RJ set to a low percentage, it will cycle on/off as needed to ensure it produces the FC you asked for. As the water temp increases you will probably have a higher FC demand and need more pump run time or a higher SWG output, but for now you should be okay with a lower output. I have my RJ-45 at 30% I think and that's almost too much.
Thanks… I guess I was expecting it to run 100% of the time, just at lower power - and that it would always read something.

Glad to see I wasn’t going crazy.

And, yeah - I know I oversized it - but I was hoping for extended cell length, as well as being able to shock it somewhat properly with the cell only.

Glad to see I wasn’t going crazy.
Not yet. We'll work on that later. :crazy:

I know I oversized it - but I was hoping for extended cell length, as well as being able to shock it somewhat properly with the cell only.
Oversizing the SWG is good. But you won't need to do weekly shocks. That's a pool store myth. As long as your FC is balanced to the CYA as noted on the FC/CYA Levels all is good. :goodjob:

Reactions: Mdragger88
Like @Texas Splash said - no “routine shocking” necessary but if you do have cause for the SLAM Process use liquid chlorine as even oversized cells aren’t cut out for that & save those precious rare earth metals for hopefully many years of daily chlorination!

save those precious rare earth metals for hopefully many years of daily chlorination!
The currently overpriced $1700 RJ60 will produce at least 11 FC in 22k gallons in 24 hours at $0.17 an hour or $4.08

2 gallons of 10% bleach will only get 9FC in 22k gallons and cost $10-$12.

Everybody needs to get off the 'save the SWG' kool-aid, and smoke em if you got em.

If your FC is low and you need an immediate boost to target range, do so with LC. Any other time you need some FC, the SWG is by far the cheaper way these days.

Reactions: MITBeta
To clarify: This was Not to say it won’t/can’t add enough fc over a long period if given enough time & with optimal water conditions, but when you need to SLAM/ reach shock level - which requires at least 24ppm of fc if your cya is 60 or above as is recommended for a swg pool - then waiting 2 days for the swg to make it happen is a futile move if there’s a problem happening- you may slow it down but it won’t disappear . In some instances a very oversized swg can help maintain during a slam to help save on lc costs but generally since there’s no reason to slam unless u have an algea/organics issue- lc is the best tool for this as it’s immediately effective. Usually No need to raise fc to slam level unless there’s a problem.

Reactions: newdude
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.