RJ45 install

kdzgon

May 13, 2009
Hello, all,

I ordered an RJ45 SWG a while back, and it is still sitting in my house. I'm a (middle school!) teacher trying to convert my 10 classes (and 4 different technology-related, usually hands-on subjects) to distance learning, and DH is disabled. I am fairly handy overall so I ordered figuring I could get it installed, with the possible help of a more-knowledgeable friend for the electrical connections, if necessary. This friend won't leave his house nowadays, and I find I have neither the time nor the patience right now to figure out how to install this unit. As we live in SW Florida and the weather has been unseasonably warm, I would really like to get this installed sooner rather than later.

I have a 15x30 inground concrete integrated spa/pool, StaRite cartridge filter and ss pump, AquaSpa heater and Pentair remote system to control it all. The pump, filter and heater are installed on a concrete pad at the side of the house. I believe there is enough room to install the swg unit without an adapter kit.

My biggest install concerns are the proper wiring (incl. integration with the remote system) and properly mounting the 22 lb control panel on the side of the stucco house. I have been unable to find any videos that show new installs - most seem to be replacements of pre-existing units, while a couple show wiring including a manual timer, which I do not have. I could replace it if a unit was there - that's easy. I'm just a bit unsure of the wiring details.

Does anyone have suggestions as to the best way to find someone to install this unit for me? I don't want to just randomly call pool companies without having a general idea what to ask and what a reasonable fee might be (or how to evaluate that). Alternatively, is there anyone with patience willing to help me figure out the details if I supply pictures of my current set-up?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Laurie

I actually just ordered an RJ-30+ on Monday. It’s on the truck for delivery and I’m expecting it to arrive almost any minute now. I’m hoping to get it installed this afternoon as soon as it arrives and I’d be happy to try to help you through the process as well. In fact, I’m even planning to mount it on the side of my stucco house in central Florida.

If you want to take some pictures of your existing plumbing that would definitely help. You will also need to figure out how you want to run the electrical connections. It can be as simple as putting a plug on the cord and plugging it into an outlet or a timer, or connecting it to your existing timer, but a lot of that depends on how your existing pump and timer are wired, what kind of pump you have, and what your current pump runtime is. Please provide details and pictures of that as well.

There are a few others who are going to be going through an RJ install over the next few days as well, so I’m sure that together we can help get you going. @onlyjeeps @waterl0gged

Reactions: onlyjeeps
I am sure that for the most part , all of us will have a similar installation process as far as the plumbing goes.
The only differing element may be on the electrical side and how the unit will be SAFELY powered up ! The use of some kind of electrical timer is a must !
Since a few of us will be installing these RJ series SWG's at the exact same time, we can learn from each other along the way and lend some tips as we go !
In the end, besides the electrical , they are all going to be installed in relatively the same way .

Here are some pictures from my install this afternoon.

To switch from 240 to 120V you need to open the unit. The jumpers go in the middle toward the bottom of the picture. It’s still configured for 240V in this picture:
0B4593F8-D559-4D45-8113-ED354C8BB15E.jpeg
To switch to 120V you need to move the existing jumper and add the second jumper (it came with an extra jumper for this purpose):
31B133E3-51B9-437D-BF38-98B343A456D9.jpeg
Then I put a plug on the end of the cord. I got this plug from Lowes a while ago for something else.
AC6ED351-03ED-4164-8ED4-696CBD88A30E.jpeg
9CCE932C-552E-41B3-B623-EF1D1CFFCBD2.jpeg
Then I attached the flow sensor. It came with reducers for the flow sensor for 1.5” pipe. The flow sensor will fit as is with 2” pipe.
0EAFAA80-8C8B-474D-8744-C2132B7BC29E.jpeg
And the salt cell. It came with union fittings for both 1.5” and 2” pipe for the salt cell.
4B6363C1-AF6D-4E73-A1EB-F5C477B974C5.jpeg
Finally I attached the mounting bracket to the side of my house with tapcon screws. It came with screws and anchors, but I prefer tapcon screws in the concrete of my house.
9D380C79-CC5D-4E60-A47F-3D33ED92780D.jpeg
The control unit sits on the bracket, then I plugged everything in, started then pump and checked for leaks, then powered it up:)
98CCE155-A631-4A77-86C0-58499BD7EEE0.jpeg

Install looks great @Brett S !
Thanks for the details on the 120v switchover .
Glad to hear the unit comes with 2"-1.5" reducers for the cell AND the flow sensor . Was wondering about that !

I may actually be able to install this without a run to the hardware store .........WHAT !?!?! :laughblue:

Reactions: onlyjeeps
I may actually be able to install this without a run to the hardware store .........WHAT !?!?! :laughblue:

Haha, I know. I had the same thought. I even had a couple of tapcon screws, so I didn’t need to make a hardware store run either. But I’ve gotta admit that it really doesn’t feel like a real DIY project without at least one trip to Lowes;)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.