Risk of damage caused by freezing over the winter

Planenuts

Aug 2, 2020
Montreal Canada
After seeing all the posts about different ways of closing the pool and freezeproofing all the lines, here in Canada ground freezes solid and deep and I question myself what is the true risk of damage to the pool plumbing/skimmer what if I did the bare minimum such as opening removing drains from pumps, filters. How many people on the great site have or heard of people have getting a split pipe or cracked skimmer directly due to frost? Obviously it is not something I will try and one occasion for any of you is still too much, it is more for the peace of mind knowing that the bare minimum is ok and that what most of us do is 'overkill'.

By the way for my main drain instead of trying to do an airlock, I take a 10 foot piece of 3/4 inch foam rope and tape it in a few places to a 10.5 foot fiberglass wire fish (to pull wire through the walls) and push that down the main drain, it beats just trying to push the foam rope down by itself, this way 24 inches was the best I could do.

I do not know of how to overkill when it comes to removing water from within an enclosed fixture that is within the frost zone. Frozen water expands more then plastic, fiberglass, heavy steel walled pipe. cement, etc etc does so therefore the frozen water will more than likely break what it is in. As water freezes it will expand in the area of least resistance first, then once froze it expand in all directions. This is why frozen water in a low spot on a pipe will crack the pipe at the point where the water lays and NOT go in the direction of the open pipe where the water is removed.
So if you can overkill, i say go for it and sleep better over the winter.:)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.