Rheem Heater not igniting, igniter is not the problem.

mack81

Silver Supporter
Mar 26, 2020
Cincinnati, OH
Hi TFPers! Hope everyone is off to a great summer!

I am having a bit of an issue with my heater, it's a Rheem 336A Natural Gas, installed 3 years ago.

It didnt ignite after opening this year. It does light up manually (sticking a lighter in where the pilot is it fires up just fine) so I assumed it was a dirty/clogged/damaged pilot/igniter, and having read that they need replacing every few years I went ahead and bought a new one (without actually testing the old one - genius that I am!).

Installed the new one today and still no joy, so I have confirmed that the igniter IS sparking (both the old one and the new one) and, as best I can, confirmed there is no physical blockage of the tube from the gas valve to the igniter.

Any thoughts on what else could be wrong?
Could it be a gas pressure issue? As in, could a lack of pressure be causing not enough flow down to the igniter but enough flow to the main burners to operate normally once lit?

Appreciate any suggestions!
Thanks!

When you light the pilot manually does the heater then run fine? For how long? Does it cycle?

Lets see if @swamprat69 is around.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.