Returns and skimmer location

Richardz202

Bronze Supporter
Apr 19, 2019
MA
Im currently replacing a steel wall pool. I was going to use another pool kit because I thought it would be easier, but that's not the case, so im going with rebar and shotcrete.

I have dug a 2' x 2' trench around the old steel walls and im hoping to pass through some 2" PVC through the walls to get to the trench on the other side of the slab surrounding the pool.....Shouldn't be a problem.

My question is: Is there anything I need to know about creating a whirlpool for my skimmers? Where should my returns be and where should my skimmers be? How deep below the water line do the returns need to be?

My current opening is 15 x 35. The deep end is roughly 8' deep.

thank you

You want the skimmer on the predominately downwind side of the pool so debris is more easily captured. Then space 3 or 4 returns around the pool. I think the returns are usually about 8" below the water surface.

Adding a drawing of your plan might help us offer any suggestions.

My original plans were for 3 returns and 2 skimmers. I took the idea from a website. With no knowledge of a good setup myself, so im completely open to changes.

here's a drawings plan, and a live photo.

Attachments

• live photo.jpg
    live photo.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 26
  • PLUMBING.jpg
    PLUMBING.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 30
If you do like the pics add 2 more returns centered on the short walls so you push it all to the center of across. Otherwise move skimmer to downwind side then one opposite side and space 4 to 6 returns around pool. You can run 3 pipes and T to a pair of returns to stack them. More returns is better you can never have too many. Looks like steel wall pool had no concrete collar. What happened to it?

Thanks for the replies and help. We just had a baby, so I had to take a break from this project, im going to try and ramp up gears here and try to get it done before winter.

Im not tied into any ideas. This is just what I have learned so far.

I'm wondering if this new picture is OK? Do I need to run individual 2" pvc to each return, or is 1 Main line with T's ok?

Jimmythegreek, im not sure what happened. We just bought this house and the pool was a disaster with big holes in the liner and huge patches of rust holes along the walls.

Attachments

• PLUMBING.jpg
    PLUMBING.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 14
The way you have draw provides no ability to control the flow from each return so you would get a lot more flow from the near return than the far one (except by maybe using different eyeball sizes).
If you looped from after the last return and teed in before the first return, then the return strengths would be more balanced, but still not controllable.
Or you can run a dedicated to return line to each jet (or pair of jets) with valves at the pump to control things. You would really only need 1.5" plumbing at the most going this route.

The way you have draw provides no ability to control the flow from each return so you would get a lot more flow from the near return than the far one (except by maybe using different eyeball sizes).
If you looped from after the last return and teed in before the first return, then the return strengths would be more balanced, but still not controllable.
Or you can run a dedicated to return line to each jet (or pair of jets) with valves at the pump to control things. You would really only need 1.5" plumbing at the most going this route.

Thanks for the reply.

So, two separate 1.5" PVC lines that control 2 returns each? Do they have to be looped back to the pump after that?

Thanks again!

Attachments

• PLUMBING.jpg
    PLUMBING.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 16
There is any number of ways you can do it. Just depends how much control of the various jets you want. Generally it is not that important to have individual control.

In your drawing, if you keep the pipe lengths about the same to each of the 2 jets, then they would get roughly the same amount of flow without needing to loop.
Run the pipe to roughly the mid point between the 2 jets and then through a Tee to each jet.

Reactions: Msch99
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.