Returning to Pool Ownership

Mine are about 15 years old. I can only guess that it's a standard size - so if it does break, it's easy to replace for a few bucks.

You might also try a paint stirrer, ruler or wood chisel to span the distance from groove to groove. Might take some "creative" engineering.

Started chewing up the plastic too badly, so to prevent further damage, I've requested a quote on getting them removed and replaced with the more common modern return design. :)

Meanwhile, last night I took a chainsaw to a mesquite tree that was happily wrecking the pool (it was a fairly young one). That one little tree filled an entire hairnet in the skimmer in just 6 hours yesterday, and I'm totally done with fighting it day in and out. Now I'm on the hunt for something to put in that space that will provide shade, but will not constantly drop teeny-tiny little leaves and organics that the skimmer and pump basket can't catch. :p My other concern was that it would compromise the spa and/or pool shell with its roots as it got older. It was within 3 feet of both. I'm not sure what genius planted it there, but it was quite satisfying to wake up to a pool that wasn't half covered with floating debris this morning.

Mesquite trees and pools are a bad mix. I guess that can be said for many plants and trees though.

Spend some time at one of your local independent nurseries. Ask a lot of questions about roots and amount of debris produced. Back up that info with some Internet research. I'm sure you can find something much more suitable to plant near your pool.

Please post on how they remove the return fittings. Pictures would be good. No telling who that may help down the road.....

Had a great swim season last year thanks to all of the great people and resources on the forums here. Apologies on not responding about the process used to remove the pool fittings, but they told me they just pried the eyeball itself out with a screwdriver and that I could do it myself without having to pay them anything (this was the owner of a local pool supply/builder - I liked how he handled himself so much that I use them for parts and whatnot any time I can). I tried prying at them with a screwdriver, but couldn't get them to come out that way. I did, however, find the extra leverage allowed me to aim them, so I aimed them more downwards and called it even. I plan to try to use a little saw once the pool is warmer to try and cut the eyeball itself and the retaining ring into a couple of easily removed pieces without doing much damage to the threads (hopefully).

So, that brings me back to why I'm posting today: Bronze fittings and copper.

My autofill uses a cooler float to control whether or not the water valve should be open. Picture is linked below. The level of the pool that I like to maintain means that the water is usually touching the float fitting. While responding to another post today, I realized that bronze has copper in it. So my question to the experts is - Would having a bronze fitting touching my water create a copper problem in the pool over time? Is the concern serious enough to warrant finding a non-bronze fitting? For this exercise, let's assume that I generally keep my CSI balanced, but a tad on the acidic side (say -.1 or -.2 max).

http://wiredstar.com/images/AutoDrain.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.